Looking for a book on OpenCV

Hi there. I am a beginner in learning OpenCV and I know Python. Currently I’m reading OpenCV with Python Blueprints book by Michael Beyeler. What should I get next? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi there @Gilly_John

I’ve only used OpenCV with C++ and the book “Learning OpenCV 3 Computer Vision in C++ With the OpenCV Library” was very useful, but when I looked for tutorials online I always saw Python users recommending the book "Learn Computer Vision in a Single Weekend". There are lots of great books for learning OpenCV, here you can find a list of recommendations.

Also, you can find lots of great tutorials on the internet, here you will find some good ones with video explanations and source codes.

I hope that helps :grin:

1 Like

You didn’t list where you want to go with using vision.

What processing platform are you targeting?
What cycle time/frame rate do you need?
What will OpenCV enable in your use?

I am currently (a vision beginner) working through Practical Python and OpenCV which looks similar in content to the book you are working through.

My goal is to learn enough to teach my Raspberry Pi 3 / GoPiGo3 robot to find and reliably mount its recharge dock. I think this will be possible at the end of this first book, so have not researched “OpenCV second books”.

My long term vision goal is to have the bot learn to recognize and use home environment objects. I can think of robot behaviors that use walls, doors, rugs, windows, ceiling-wall joints, tile and flooring joint lines, furniture, wires, TVs, musical instruments, books and of course people. This goal will take some years and more experience with OpenCV, (and some sort of learning technology probably).

This is a typical image I will be working with for my robot to find its dock using the one or two green LEDs for centering. As it gets closer, it will need to use the word “CARL” and the arrow to line up more precisely.

1 Like