LMRv4 Milestones

Hi guys, I am happy to announce that we are moving slowly, but yet so speedy, that we can present you with ..

LMRv4 Milestones

Enjoy, and thanks for the patience and understanding :)

Nice!! Hope I can see it

Nice!! Hope I can see it complete after I move back to Taiwan.

together, we push evolution…

i like it :slight_smile: so exciting!

Sounds good and I am looking

Sounds good and I am looking forward to V4.

As mogul already pointed out, it would be good to get the user names reserved for everyone, so nobody else can take it.

Afraid of loosing our content

Since I have not found any note about something here is what itches me:

Can you make shure that all the content we provided (in the past) will be provided in the future too?
That means when I log in to V4 as NilsB - do I find all my articles and especially my robot projects there again? Or is my V4 profile empty and I have to migrate everything by hand?

Yes and no - and thank you

Yes and no - and thank you for the good question :slight_smile:

For a long time ago, we realized that LMR would never go any further, if we had to keep the old structure. And we also had to realize that even though it would be possible to convert all old material into new database forma, the task was likely to be too large.

When that is said; It MAY be possible for us to simply convert “old LMR” to “new LMR” - but deliberately I have avoided geting into this, as a new version would have to be done, no matter what. And so the strategy was / is; If its possible, itøs great - but we are not having it as focus at all, because there are so many other things to consider.

SO WHERE ARE YOUR CONTENT? ARGH! Don’t worry (don’t quote me on that once the house’s on fire, haha)

No… The plan, the enginious idea, is to let v3 stay as is, but have a big fat sign saying “This is from LMRv3, here is LMRv4” above it, and take away the option to submit new stuff on the site - but allow commenting and editing old stuff.

And then go on air with v4.

There are detials to be settled, but  this way all linking to your stuff from outside is untouched. (It will not go off air, and no liks are dead)

And you can submit new stuff, and find the old stuff… And as something new, you can [include] both old and new stuff into new posts.

Only missing link as such, is full lists of everything you have posted in one list. And we will work on that - hopefulle we will find some tweaks.

I know that this is not “professional and optimal”, but it is what we can do with the ressources we have.

Again, it’s good that you mention it, so we can keep an eye on it. An extra eye :slight_smile:

I am sure the work on LMR4

I am sure the work on LMR4 is quite complicated especially when you consider to migrate all the old content into the new database.

I am good with keeping the old LMR3 online with the optio to edit posts, write comments etc. but NO new submissions. So we really can keep all the inbound links active and valid and nobody is loosing anything. OddBot’s and all the other tips and walkthroughs are a good source and it would be a big loss when they disappear.

Fot the new LMR4 it would be a good thing that we login to LMR4 AND LMR3 with just one login to keep things easy to edit and comment. This is important when new visitors are going to write comments with questions or suggestions under old projects.

Thanks Frits, I am sure you guys are doing the right thing.

Our content is important

To me, data migration is no extra work - it is part of the regular work.

Frits - don't forget that LMR.com without community and content is worthless. Our content is important. It's a first class citzen. To read that this migration has no focus nurishes the fear of loosing. Therefore I say this focus is missing.

Do you really want us to hand-migrate everything we want from V3 to V4. Fine for me. Tough for CtC and OddBot.

Pleased to read about v4,hope it will work on Androids(!!) too.

τ

v3 works on (my) Android(s)

v3 works on (my) Android(s) - since Android(s) have been updated.

When that is said; v4 is not planned to have a special Smart(ass)Phone template - due to (lack of)ressources.

But a great deal of the overall reason to do a transport to the new kernel, is to be able to offer that kind of support: All the stuff from the new world that was not invented when v1 was made (and transported up to v3) will be available to us after this.

(and after writing something like that, I always feel like writing something like “I hope” or “is the plan” :wink: