Litter robot open air flashing yellow

So the latest issue with my open air. At night time when lights are out the yellow light flashes. What is weird is when I turn on lights it stops flashing yellow and goes back to solid blue. I have pulled out plug let it sit for 15 and plugged back in and that didn’t fix the problem.

Has anyone experienced this challenge? How did you fix? Also when flashing yellow my cats have not been in or near box. It goes flashing yellow only at night so seems to have something to do with night time. I have shut off the night light and still happens. Of course my concern is the litter box will not function in the dark and say it was cycling and half way thru and i shut the lights it stays like that until the morning and when it is light out. Very weird.

Hi,
Please watch this YouTube video about the Automatic night light. If the issue persists, the bonnet or the circuit board will probably have to be replaced.

Mine does the same thing recently, and I don’t remember this before. It’s NOT the night light - that works fine. When the room lights are off, the status LED blinks yellow. When I turn on the room lights, the status light turns solid blue after about 5 seconds. Turn the lights off, status light back to solid blue.

What gives?

We have been having the same issue lately. Litter Robot works and cycles fine during the day, but it’s a crapshoot at night. During the night time (we have our unit outside so we can’t just turn on the lights in the room), the yellow light is often blinking. When we try to cycle it, it goes for a bit then gets stuck. The weird thing is, when you shine a flashlight JUST RIGHT into the bonnet area, the thing starts to rotate again. But it’s not consistent. Our bonnet has been replaced recently so it can’t be that. We’re probably going to try replacing the main circuit board next.

I am having the same issue!!! What is the solution???

This is sometimes due to the bonnet being defective.
If you have purchased the Litter-Robot with us, please contact the support center with your order number and the unit’s serial number.

I’ve been having the same issue. Yellow cycle light flashes in the dark but as soon as you turn on the lights, it stops and goes to ready mode.
Device also doesn’t function when the light is flashing so one of my cats has been pooping on the floor as he won’t use the Litter-Bot when it’s dirty.
This is a real stinker of an issue, especially on a device that’s less than a year old. I’ve submitted a support ticket but have not heard back from anyone yet.

I sure hope someone is addressing this.

@Majestyk2k

Hi, we usually answer within 3 business hours to all request.
We suggest you try opening a new ticket so we can verify your warranty information and proceed with the reparation or replacement of the bonnet.

I had the same issue. I took the bonnet off and re-attached it. The yellow light flashing light went away… for now…

1 Like

I know this may be old, though I just had the same issue. I was getting frustrated. So here is the FIX:

1. If your lucky it could be as simple as, the bonnet not fully inserted correctly. It has tabs that slide in the rear then you secure with side tabs. If your lucky that is it.
  2. If that does not work which was my case. Turns our the silver contacts where the bottom and the bonnet meet. where really dirty, almost like rust. Just get an ear Q-tip and some alcohol or cleaner and scrub it clean. Re attach the bonnet and presto the unit will be back to normal. ( this was my issue and the fix)
  3. If your the few that are not lucky, the bonnet may be defective. So you may need a replacement. If under warranty contact Litter Robot if out of warranty. Then you can buy replacement parts from them.

FYI if the bonnet is causing issues you wont be able to turn of the nigh light on or off. So holding the power button wont do nothing other than turn off the unit.

If you don’t care and want to save money and the unit work during daylight then I suggest you face the litter robot at night towards a night light. That way you still get use from it.

Hope this helps other out there with the same issue.

1 Like

I will add one more failure mode for this. In my case, I was getting the pinch detector (rapid flashing yellow) intermittently while cycling.

The pinch sensor always checked OK. Clean, electrically continuous, good mechanical contact.
The spring contacts for the bonnet also checked out OK.

I did find a loose contact inside the bonnet. The wiring inside the bonnet (for the bonnet presence and nightlight) is connected via spade lugs.
IMG_6765
These are underneath the black cover in the bonnet. You can see the one on the right side is not inserted all the way and in fact could be moved without any resistance. As such, it was probably susceptible to losing contact due to vibrations when the globe moves. I thickened the spade with a few layers of aluminum foil to get a tight connection and haven’t had any failures since.

I have no idea how this could be setting off the pinch detector. My best guess is that voltage fluctuations from the loose contact on the bonnet circuit confuse the main circuit board.

The spring tabs on the spade connectors seem quite weak. I wouldn’t be surprised if they work themselves loose again from vibrations. I would prefer a screwed in lug connector or there more permanent connection. If it works itself loose again, I will probably try to solder the wire to the connector.

To get to the spade connectors, remove the two screws holding the black cover to the bonnet.
IMG_6773

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this @topchem !