Litter-Robot Issues - Blue Blinking light

Hello even though this thread is old the issue is still happening.

I eventually found a fix. After replacing the DFI sensor it worked for some months and the issue came back.

I tried cleaning it multiple times but it would fix the issue.

For some months I just lived without the sensor and just used the reset button everytime the globe had run a cyklus.

Then the issues became worse, I began to get “could find home position” “could find dump position” “pinch detection” “cat sensor triggered”

They became more and more frequent, and sometimes I thought I had fixed them but then they kept coming back.

Eventually it kept getting stuck with an error on every cycle.

I got so mad at it so I took it completely apart and started to look for ways to bypass, DFI, pinch detection, and everything.

I experimented by jumping cables and connections. Sometimes I thought I fixed it but when every was assembled it would still not work.

I check the different voltages and got some weird readings.

I discovered by point my phone camera at the DFI sensor that sometimes the inferred sensors was flashing, sometimes steady, sometimes off.

It changes from every cycle. When they were off I would get drawer full light.

I took the DFI board out and took it under a magnifying glass and noticed that the big chip in the middle of the board had corrosion on the pins. Some one pin was almost gone, some other pins had touch eachother with some kind of rust.

I started cleaning them and carefully resolder all the pins and making sure they wasn’t touching eachother.
(Look on YouTube how to resolder a chip)

I put everything back together and all the issues was gone.

I took the board out again and applied my own mix of resin and isopropyl alcohol on top of the chip.
When the alcohol evaporates it leaves a hard layer off resin isolating the chip and it’s pins, protecting it from corrosion.

My litter robot have now been running flawlessly for half a year. Not a single issue!!!

I am annoyed I didn’t kept my old DFI board so I could see if it had the same issue.

So before you rush out and buying a new board try cleaning the chip with isopropyl alcohol, resolder the pins. If you don’t have any solder skills buy some flux, apply it on the pins and try heat it up to around 280 degrees Celsius for 2-5 minutes with a hot air gun.

1 Like

Hello @Henrik9979 ,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you were having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

This is correct, the corrosion and damage to the chip on the DFI sensor is usually the cause for such an issue.

That’s why we always ask the customers to clean the boards with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-Tip.

Unfortunately, some customers are unable to fix the broken pins or the chip itself has been burnt out due to heavy corrosion and that’s when we recommend replacing the sensor.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Sincerely,

“Merry Christmas and Happy New Year”

1 Like