Litter Robot III flashing blue and yellow lights that won't go away

I have been having a problem with my Litter Robot III Open Air. When I power it on, it has a blinking blue light (1 per second, usually drawer is full) but after hitting reset, the yellow light starts blinking (2 per second, pinch sensor alert). Hitting reset again begins the flashing light cycle again (slow blinking blue light → rapid blinking yellow → rinse ->repeat). I replaced both the Cat Sensor and the pinch sensors (ordered from you) and it is still not working. I’ve been through all the normal recommended troubleshooting tips. But to no avail.

I’m pretty sure my unit isn’t under warranty any more as it’s 3 or 4 years old and I’m not the original owner (inherited it from my ex-wife). What would you recommend?

Hello @DougD86,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

This issue indicates a faulty DFI sensor.

Please try the following troubleshooting:

The following troubleshooting should resolve the blue light blinking while the waste drawer is empty. Once resolved, the unit should consistently recognize when your cat visits and cycle accordingly.

To troubleshoot the blue blinking, let’s start by power cycling your unit:

1.) Leave your unit powered ON with the blue blinking light engaged & Unplug your power supply from the base

2.) Wait 10 seconds then plug the unit back in

3.) Allow the unit to complete a start‐up cycle. If the light is solid blue, the code has been successfully cleared. If the light is still blinking, let’s proceed with troubleshooting. Let’s empty the drawer if it has waste and reinstall the bag before proceeding.

Note: If you are using a dark-colored bag, always tuck it into the tabs.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgTYtknW_c&index=2&list=PLVGSgrf6kgDNPYaulQB7wDvu9AJcmBQ5k

Let’s check your DFI Lenses for any obstructions:

1. Turn off the unit and Unplug the power from the base

2. Remove the Bonnet and the Globe

3. Inspect the top of the Base where the Globe usually rests. Are there any debris? Small amounts of litter is normal. Clean as needed.

4. Inside the waste opening there are two clear ““Lenses”” (left and right side). Ensure there are no debris on the Lenses. Sometimes litter can fall/splash onto them.

** To clean the lenses, we recommend wiping them off with a soft damp cloth and/or glass cleaner. Do not directly spray the Base or DFI Lenses. **

1. Replace the Globe and Bonnet. Reset the black key in the back of the unit into the pocket.

2. Plug the unit back in. If you turned the power off, you will need to power it on and press ““cycle””. Once the cleaning cycle is complete, the unit should be at the Home position with a Solid Blue LED on.

Further Troubleshooting:

1. If the unit continues blinking blue, remove the waste drawer and press cycle.

2. Press reset 2x to abort the cycle and return the unit to home (it will level the litter).

3. If the unit goes to solid blue with the waste drawer removed, ensure there is nothing in the drawer blocking the lenses.

If the drawer is clear, your base needs to be repaired ‐ let us know that you tried the full troubleshooting without results.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Had the same problem, but found that if you disconnect the dfi sensor assembally completely and clean the circuit board with a qtip and some contact cleaner (there was build up of very fine debris on one of the black chips) - reassemble and voila!! All fixed!

Hello @Robm ,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

This would indeed fix the issue with your DFI sensor.

However, in some cases, the chip’s contacts are too damaged to be restored with alcohol and a Q-Tip and that’s when you must replace the sensor.

So we recommend cleaning the sensor regularly to avoid such issues.

Sincerely,