Litter Robot III Connect - flashing blue light, no start up cycle, no buttons work

Hi!

I came back home to my Litter Robot stuck in mid-cycle with a puddle of pee on the internal shield. I’d received a “pinch detected” and “bonnet removed” error messages via the app a few hours earlier but thought I could clear it when I got home. I guess Bob couldn’t wait.

I cleared the mess up and righted everything. The blue light keeps flashing, however. The tray’s empty and the light still blinks with or without a bag. None of the buttons work and there’s no start up cycle when I switch it on and off. The lights flash sequentially when it boots up, but it always settles on a blinking blue light.

I can still switch the Litter Robot on and off via the app but I can’t do anything else.

I changed the old DFI sensor in April 2020 to the newer version because the old IR one stopped working. The new sensor came as part of the Connect upgrade kit which I purchased. The LR has been working flawlessly for the past 8 months or so.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

1. Removed the power cable, waited a while, and plugged it back in.

2. Cleaned the pinch sensor metal prongs and made sure they’re touching each other.

3. Made sure the bonnet’s properly seated with all the tabs inserted where they should be.

Does anyone know what the problem is? It’s identical to what’s shown in these 2 YouTube videos. Unfortunately no solution is presented in the video (even though it seems quite a few others have had the same problem!)

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Ultimax

Thank you for detailed description.

Most probably you need to re-calibrate DFI sensor.

Please check this topic, Litter Robot III Connect - Blue Blinking Light , and tell us the result.

Hi!

Thanks for your advice.

I followed the instructions to recalibrate but it did not work. The blue light continues to flash. There was no response when I held the button down.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

1 Like

When you press and hold Reset button for more than 5 seconds, does blue light start to blink very fast?

1 Like

Hi! The blue light continues to blink at the same speed. Nothing changes. Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe you can try and open up the base. Then, please check all connectors on the circuit board. Make sure all of them are properly plugged in. Maybe there is a loose connection somewhere.

Have you bought your robot and upgrade kit from RobotShop?

Thanks! I bought the upgrade kit from Litter Robot’s website about a year ago.

Hi again! I reconnected all the wires to the circuit board but it still doesn’t work. Board looks OK - nothing burnt out.

But might it still be faulty? It’s less than a year old though. Or perhaps it’s the DFI sensor? I’ve unfortunately had many problems with the DFI sensor since Dec 2017. This is the third DFI sensor. The first 2 sensors lasted about a year each so maybe the third one’s due to be replaced.

Thanks!

Most probably, the issue is DFI sensor. Can you give us your order ID?

Thank you.

Hi!

It’s #100336623 (2/13/20).

I’ve also written separately to Litter Robot and they’re also helping me with this. Am unsure if you work for them, but just wanted to let you know since you’ve been very helpful and sound like you do! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We cannot find your order ID in our system so you probably bought your robot directly from Litter Robot :slight_smile:

In that case, they will support you for warranty.

No worries, thanks very much for your help!

1 Like

You are welcome.

Just wanted to close the loop in case anyone has a similar problem.

I wrote to Litter Robot and they kindly sent me a new DFI sensor as I had bought the Connect upgrade kit which came with a DFI sensor less than a year ago. The sensor they sent, however, seems to be the old IR design, not the laser one which came with the Connect kit. I read in this forum they’ve discontinued the laser one and have gone back to using IR.

They also sent me a new pair of pinch sensors. Mine had corroded over time.

I’m pleased to report that my Litter Robot is working once again.

Admittedly I’m unsure if it was the DFI sensor or pinch sensor, or perhaps both, which failed. Regardless I’m happy I no longer have to scoop the poop out of the box daily!

2 Likes

Great news :slight_smile: