Another Litter Robot blue light problem

Hi!

I have a Litter Robot III, purchased from RobotShop in late 2019.

My problem is very similar to this one:
Litter Robot III Connect - flashing blue light, no start up cycle, no buttons work Thanks to @Ultimax for the excellent post!

On power up the blue light flashes (~2Hz), with or without the drawer in place, I’ve cleaned the DFI transmitter and receiver etc. No response to any buttons.

But a couple of differences:

• When I video the DFI transmitter, I can see all four diodes blinking.
  • After one of my cleanings, the blue light went back to blinking at the usual 1Hz but returned to 2Hz after I pushed the cycle button.
  • My DFI units are slightly different from the ones in the above post, in that they have cutouts in the middle of the plastic shields.

I’m getting a bit desperate for a solution. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

-Gary

1 Like

Gary,
A possible reason for the lights blinking in the video is that the camera’s capture rate is such that the flickering of the LEDs becomes visible. Our eyes are only able to detect flickering below about 50HZ. A few people can see higher frequencys. However, cameras capture images and if a LED is flickering the camera will likely capture the moment the LED is off.
I realize this answer does not help with your other questions. Best of luck.

1 Like

Hi @Mainalires and @GaryD !

Please give us your order ID and serial number of the robot.

Thank you.

1 Like

So, after going through all the troubleshooting routines many times, I moved it to another room where I could work on it. A day later, I got around to plugging it back in and it cycled and now works!

Best case scenario: It’s fixed! :smiley:

Worst case scenario: There’s a temperature-dependent fault and it will return when it’s been in use for a while. :scream:

I’m hoping for number one!

-Gary

1 Like

Okay, so now it’s gone back to having the blue light flash at 1Hz when the bin is empty. This is not too bad, as it doesn’t stop the Litter Robot from functioning and can be reset with the reset button. But it’s how the thing behaved for a couple of weeks before going the above failure mode, so I’m now rather pessimistic.

Is it possible to do some more serious troubleshooting than I’ve seen discussed here? I have the usual hobbyist electronics gear.

Thanks!
-Gary

1 Like

Hi @GaryD

We don’t have any advanced troubleshooting for DFI sensor.

Did you maybe change recently litter type or brand that you are using?

It can happen that dust from the litter gets on the lenses.

If this is not the case, we recommend replacing DFI sensor.

1 Like

Same litter: Catsan Active Fresh. I’ve cleaned both the outer and inner surfaces of the clear plastic cover and wiped the diodes a little each time I’ve taken it apart. But I’d like to be a little stubborn at trying to get it working. I haven’t specifically identified the receivers for spot cleaning, so I’ll take a shot at that. Is it okay to clean with alcohol or something like that, or simply not necessary if it’s always just litter dust?

1 Like

HI @GaryD

If cleaning didn’t help, we can send you new DFI sensor as a part of the warranty.

Is that OK for you?

Hey, thanks for following up. You guys are great.

I wasn’t having 100% success with just wiping the sensors, so I used a little alcohol. No problems for three days now. If it doesn’t act up for a week, I think we can call it solved, without having to replace them.

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Let’s hope it will stay like that :slight_smile:

I give up! It’s back to the 2Hz flashing with the unit non-functional and nothing I do will make it stop.

If you think replacing them will do the trick, let’s do that.

Thanks!!
-Gary

1 Like

HI @GaryD

We will transfer your request to our internal support.

You will receive an email in a few minutes to confirm your shipping address.

Thank you.

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.