Litter Robot 3 - Open Air - Yellow Light when dumping

Hi!

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering.

Our litter robot 3 is currently experiencing issues. The yellow light blinks rapidly when the robot attempt to clean itself. It gets to where it is supposed to stop and turn back but then continues to rotate past where it should and then stops and gets stuck. It then blinks rapidly yellow.

Hitting (or pushing and holding) “Reset” does not change the blinking yellow light at all or do anything.

We have replaced the Open Air Wiring Harness, cleaned the anti-pinch pins and the DFI with rubbing alcohol with no change.

Please let us know what further steps we need to take or how we can fix our litter robot.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Hello @MeganS,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

Please provide us with your order number or a copy of the invoice.

We will also need to see a picture like this one to check if the wiring harness has been installed correctly or not:

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Hi Ebram,

I’ve attached two photos which hopefully show all the details you require.
My order number was: #911765 (Web #700114769)

Thank you!
Megan

Hello @MeganS,

Thank you for your reply.

Your robot is out of warranty and according to your account… the wiring harness was replaced in 2020.

Did you mean that replacement or you have replaced it now again?

If it’s a new one, please provide us with its order number.

Please remove the tape from above the wiring harness so we can check if it’s installed correctly or not.

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Hi Ebram,

In between when you sent the wiring harness in 2020 and its arrival, the litter robot started working fine again - so we did not end up replacing it that time (figuring that we would see if it broke down again) and only now have used the replacement that was sent.

We have also ordered new anti-pinch pins (which hopefully will arrive on Wednesday) to try to see if that is the issue.

Can you please clarify which tape you would like removed for a new photo - do you mean the tape covering the small circled area (on your photo) on the left side of the screen?

Thank you,
Megan

Hello @MeganS,

This is the tape that we are referring to:

This issue could also be coming from the magnets located inside the globe.

Please test the magnets by putting any metallic object on these two areas circled in red and check if the magnets would attract the object or not:

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Thank you Ebram.
Here is the new photo. We tested the magnets and both are working as expected.

~Megan

Hello @MeganS,

The sensor seems to be installed correctly so that’s not the problem.

Please make sure that you are using the original power adapter and plugging it directly into the wall.

We will also need you to check if the globe wobbles during the cycle or not because this could be the cause of the error.

Lastly, it could be a software issue that would require replacing the circuit board so let’s check the other points first.

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Hi Ebram,

We replaced the anti-pinching pins today and, on first test, it seems to be working again. We will monitor over the next couple of days and update if it stops working again.
We can confirm that the globe does not wobble at all during the cycle (I have a video if that would be helpful later on if it does break again) and we are still using the original power adapter.

Thank you,
Megan

Hello @MeganS,

We are glad to hear that the robot is working again.

Feel free to contact us again if you notice any further issues.

Sincerely,

Hi Ebram,

Sadly, the success was very short lived. Here is a video showing what is happening.

The wiring harness and the anti-pinch pins are new so we know it is not that issue. The notification we are getting with the app is still “Pinch detect fault”

Thank you,
Megan

Hello @MeganS,

We are sorry to hear that you are still having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

In this case, it’s possible that the issue is coming from the software and the circuit board would need to be replaced.

You can order a new one from this link:

This video will help you replace it:

Let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

Hi Ebram,

Is there any way to update the software on the current circuit board?

What is the likelihood that the circuit board is the issue? I understand we need to replace it at our own cost since we are out of warranty, but I want to be sure this is likely to be the solution and not need to then also buy a new a new DFI sensor I’d that could also be what is causing the issues.

Thank you,
Megan

Hello @MeganS,

The over-rotation error could occur due to one of the following:

1- Missing, damaged, or misplaced hall-effect sensor.
2- Missing, damaged, or misplaced magnets of the globe.
3- Not using the original power adapter or not plugging it directly into the wall.
4- Failure of the software on the circuit board.

If all the above 3 reasons aren’t the cause then the circuit board is the issue.

You can try a hard reset by unplugging the robot from the wall for 10mins then plugging it back in.

If that didn’t fix the issue, you can order the new circuit board.

If the new circuit board didn’t fix the issue, you can still return it for a refund but the shipping fee for the return would be paid by you.

The DFI sensor isn’t related to this error but it’s possible that the sensor is defective and this error is covering the error from the DFI sensor.

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Thank you! I will order the new circuit board.

We have verified (by replacing the wiring) that it cannot be 1 or 3.

Regarding number 2: Is there any way to determine if the magnets are too weak to be working properly? They both attract paperclips and neither has ever been removed/fallen out so I know they can’t be inverted, but I don’t know if it’s possible they have been demagnetized or weakened over time (or even how strong they should be).

Thank you,
Megan

Hello @MeganS,

It’s normal for the magnets to have one magnet stronger than the other and if they attract paperclip then they should work fine.

Let us know how it goes after installing the circuit board.

Sincerely,

I have tried to order the circuit board and I keep getting the following error in the cart:

• Some of the products cannot be shipped in your region

Thank you,
Megan

Hello @MeganS,

This is very odd, we will forward you now to our replacement department to help you place your order internally then.

You will be contacted shortly with further instructions.

Have a lovely day, stay safe.

Sincerely,

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.