LIDAR positionning

Hello, I would like to use a rotative Lidar for one of my application. The question I have, is regarding the position of this lidar. What I need to check is a surface which can be vertical , horizontal or even oblic. Question : (I checked in the documentation of each constructor but I didn’t find any answer regarding the fact that we can use a rotative lidar in any position (no impact on the engine ?). I had a look at the YDLIDAR G4, the RPLIDAR A1 from Slamtec and the LS LIDAR 2D Low-cost Omnidirectional Laser Scanner (LS01D). Thanks in advance for any advice/clue you could provide.
Regards.
Stéphane.
PS : Sorry for my English which is not perfect at all…

1 Like

Hi @sbrunel,

Welcome to the RobotShop community!

Indeed, there is no information concerning this in the documentation of most LIDAR products, so I’m not too surprised that you didn’t find information about it.

I know for a fact that some customers have used Slamtec products vertically and upside-down completely. The manufacturer did mention that it may cause a slightly faster degradation of some parts but in most cases it should not be very noticeable, especially if you use the models without slip rings inside such as RB-Rpk-02, RB-Rpk-05, RB-Rpk-07 and RB-Rpk-13. They use a brushless motor and wireless power and data transmissions internally so there isn’t much to break, even when at an angle.

As for the YDLIDAR, a better fit for your needs may be RB-Ydl-03 since it also uses “optimag” internally.

As a whole, stay away from rotational LIDARs that use a brushed motor, belts or a slip ring if your sensor will be at an angle or upside-down often/all the time as this could cause uneven use of the parts and cause early failure.

I hope this info helps you make an educated decision about your LIDAR needs.

Sincerely,

L’anglais n’est pas ma première langue non plus! :wink:
Ne te gène pas pour me répondre ou clarifier quelque chose en français, si tu préfères! :+1:

Merci beaucoup pour ta réponse et les infos. Je vais tester tout ça et voir si ca tient sans impact en position verticale.

1 Like