LCD from printer

I found an LCD when I took apart my Dell 1600n Laser Printer, and I have searched everywhere and can’t seem to find any documents or datasheets for pinouts. I wish to use the LCD with my robot.

the only information i have on it is this:

VHX1620
 BHRC9 
 04-23WST
 P1620B

That’s everything the back of the PCB says on it. Is there any safe way of knowing the pinouts?

picture would be helpful to narrow down the possibilities.

yeah, here.

majhost.com/gallery/DarthToa … g_3227.jpg

Looks like a standard 14-pin LED. Two line, 16 characters, right? Also turn it over and see if you can read the controller chip part number.

Pretty easy to interface.

Alan KM6VV

Those numbers look extremely familiar. :laughing: I’m using LCD model JHD 162A, made in China. It probably doesn’t mean anything, since 162 could meant 16 char x 2 line display.

You can try using pinout from Hitachi 44780 or KS0066. I’m using both LCDs. Although they refers to different datasheet, the pinouts are still the same.

However mine is a 16 pin. The 2 extra pins are for the backlight. If your LCD is without backlight, chance is they are the same.

LCD typical V-in is 5V. You can try with lower voltage first. I just check BA manual, there is already a LCD code instruction for sending instruction to this type of LCD. Are you using those?

In case you notice that the LCD contrast become too dark, quickly disconnect it. If not, you’ll burn the chip. Happen to me already. :unamused:

I was hoping you’d say that. :slight_smile: I recently found this. I’ll have to take a look at the LCD BA commands.

Yup, you are right. I forget to mention, Pin3 (Vee) is for contrast. It need to connect to ground, not to V+.

With V+ of 5V, I also put a 1.3k resistor between Vee and Ground. To be safe, try something >1k. The last time I burn the LCD was because I mistakenly put too low of a resistor.

How come when i compile the code below the IDE returns an error saying “Error: FILE C:\DOCUME~1\BRANDON\DESKTOP\LCD2.BAS(LINE 10) : [TOKEN ,] : Unexpected token type” and i also tried example code i found on the Basic Micro website. all does the same thing.

[code]clk con p2
rs con p1
rw con p0
printch var byte
printch = “A”

start:
lcdinit rs\clk\rw, outc
Line 10 --> lcdwrite rs\clk\rw,outc, [INITLCD1,INITLCD2,TWOLINE,CLEAR,HOME,SCR]
pause 1000
goto start[/code]

if you double click on the error it will point to the line that has the problem. Try removing the " : " after “Start”

Post all of the code… :unamused:

The : after start just means it’s a label…

Start: <- you can goto this location. I.e. goto start

I don’t have all the code yet. I just quickly made something to initialize the LCD. I would have an actual program running by now if the IDE wasn’t being buggy.

BTW the error is the “,”.

I once had a program that would not compile and it was due to a " ` " in the code. It’s those little things that get ya.

So this won’t work?

Start Blah blah blah Goto Start-------^

:laughing: :smiling_imp:

So nobody can see any problems with the code I guess…
Acidtech if you are reading this I really hope you can tell me why the IDE has so many problems.

Is this on an Atom or a Pro? Which IDE.

On the PRO, I think the syntax of the LCDINIT command is different. But for now I will assume you are using a standard ATOM.

The problem appears to be with the word “Clear”, which while in the documentation as a valid thing to output, it is also a command to clear memory. My guess is either they need to special case this or maybe the output command is something like LCDCLEAR…

In the mean time you can probably just use the value for clear $101.

Kurt

Thanks kurt! it sorta…kinda works.

Only half a letter is being sent to the LCD. I have it in 4-bit mode like the manual says it should be in. But on the second line of the LCD I get a whole character. why is it doing this?

Don’t know, maybe your hardware needs all 8 bits…

Hows about another picture? Not visualizing what yer describing here…

Here’s a pic.
majhost.com/gallery/DarthToa … g_3234.jpg

OMG! your so close! I’m not sure why its doing that. That picture does a better job of explainging your problem though.