LaunchPad Impressions

It's nice to see that more people have started to get their LaunchPads.  I've managed to log a few hours now and thought I'd share some of my impressions thus far.

Overall I give the new toy high marks.  As everyone has heard, it comes in a nice little box along with two microcontrollers, both male and female headers, a clock crystal, and a USB cable.  Setting it up was easy enough - with the exception of a truly massive software download.  I just followed a few step-by-step instructions from the guide and the LaunchPad connected for me via USB on the first try.

As a project/demo board it's adequate.  You get a couple of LEDs, a couple of switches, breakouts to all pins, and a USB connection that will show up as a serial port for PC-Launchpad communication.  But what you really get for your $4.30 is a programmer that opens you up to a good complement of Texas Instruments' MSP430 series micros.  This includes all MSP430 Value Line chips, eZ430 target boards, and any MSP430 device with Spy Bi-Wire capabilities.

Of course there's more to be considered with a platform than price alone, but to me it's an important factor.  If you take a look at what TI has been lining up - not just with LaunchPad but with the Value Line chips and some of their target boards - things get pretty interesting.  I'll resist the temptation to do a lot of price comparison to other platforms.  Everyone knows what they've paid for other chips, programmers and project boards.

LaunchPad comes with a 14-pin, 2K flash MSP430 installed and preloaded with a demo program.  Obviously this little guy is kind of wimpy compared to what a lot people are using here at LMR.  It does about what you'd expect - it's got general input-output, 10-bit analog conversion, and SPI/i2c.  These chips are 16 bit with a straight-up von Neumann architecture.  If you clock them up to full speed they get 16 MIPS. 

As with any micro, at the end of the day it will come down to whether the various pros and cons work for you and your project.  For example, one of the MSP430's biggest selling points is extreme power efficiency.  They run at 1.8-3.6 volts and have 5 modes that enable you to turn off various clocks and peripherals to save power.  In standby mode they consume fraction of a microAmp and can wake back up in less than a microsecond.  There are many projects that could really take advantage of these abilities, but if your project won't benefit from extreme power efficiency you might find working at low power and low voltage to be a nuisance.

Without a doubt the biggest problem with LaunchPad and the MSP430 series is the lack of good documentation to help beginners get started.  Despite marketing LaunchPad as "an easy-to-use development tool intended for beginners and experienced users alike," TI really hasn't put together any appropriate introductory material.  The 20 page LaunchPad User's Guide is insufficient, and the few code samples and projects from TI are clearly written for people who already understand embedded systems pretty well.  On the bright side you'll find there are a number of LaunchPad blogs and tutorials popping up and there are also some general resources online for MSP430 programming from schools and hobbyists.  These resources will continue to grow, but it will take a long time to get a good body of knowledge put together.

In summary - good micro, great price, not for everyone, not a lot of help for the beginner.

Looking forward to hearing what others think.

I think your assessment is

I think your assessment is dead on. I decided to get one because the price was attractive and it was an opportunity for me to grow beyond the Picaxe processors. However, as a very inexperienced C programmer (I took a course, once), I found the whole development environment a bit intimidating. What an experienced programmer might find to be a very valuable wide tool set was a little confusing and overwhelming for me. Once I had everything set up, I was able to load some example programs, analyze and modify them, and generally get the hang of basic I/O operations without much difficulty.

I have since also purchased an Arduino close, and I will probably spend some time learning on that for a bit before coming back to the LaunchPad.

interesting observation

after starting with the arduino and using that for the past few years, I thnk this would be the next logical step in the learning prossecor, i would not recomend this for beginners. the documentation has gotten better, there are more tutorials on how to program it, and there is a lot of example code to use as well. I have had the launch pad a week after launch, then the documentation was horrible, the only real referenc then was the example code and the msp430 userguide, so  give it some more time and there will be even more

so far the hardest part about learning to program is using bit-wise operators, and registers.