Jarvis 2000 by Josh Starnes , powered by EZ Robot , modded Tomy Omnibot 2000

Jarvis is a project inspired in part by Jarvis the AI that belongs to Tony Stark in the movie and comic book series IRON MAN. This is my first real android robot with no previous experience. I dreamed of making a couple of robots one was a vacuum robot with 4 motors. Brush, impeller, and one motor.driving each wheel. This was back in 98 before roomba was thought of. Lol my drawings as a kid even resembled one. Now that I am older and have tools like EZ Robot I can start making these dreams come true. It has been a learning experience and I hope to learn more. Jarvis is basically my personal computer but also will have a few key features.

Goals are that he can help maintain a home by vacuuming and sweeping the floors. My fish need to be taken care of while I am away so scheduled feedings and turning tank lights on in the morning and off at night are in the works. He would be great for security by detecting motion, taking pictures or video and sounding alarm if intruders are detected. Jarvis will be autonomous in some situations and because of the wireless video link by wifi and wireless keyboard and mouse, I can be checking facebook on either the upstairs or downstairs Tv while Jarvis is roaming the house or cleaning.  I'm still thinking of other tasks Jarvis could do but I gotta get this guy together so there is no time to waste!

A long time ago , in a galaxy far far away....

February 1012 when I first received the Tomy Omnibot 2000

. My starting main parts were:

asus mini itx motherboard

8 GB ram

Win 7

250gb Western Digital Hard Drive

Nvidia 560ti graphics card

2 ghz AMD 25watt tdp dual core CPU

Thermaltake 430 watt psu

460 watt apc backup

Ez Board Kit w EZ Wireless CAM

Shark vx63 cordless vacuum

4 Power Sonic batteries 12v 9ah

Power HD 240 oz servos

hitec 645mg 130oz in servos

hitec 5995tg 400 oz in servos

Robotzone.gearbox 5 to 1 ratio for shoulders

7 Inch headrest Tv/ monitor for the chest

Asus BlueRay Dvd Player/burner

Here jarvis has gone through about 30 hours of work.  Much of this was custom fiberglass.  Body stretching has made this robot 16 inches taller than it originally stood back in 1984. Here Speakers have been added in the base, many rangefingers fitted, a tv in the belly and a vacuum backpack with 12v electric brush in the bottom.

Jarvis is a entertainment android and also serves as my personal computer

• Actuators / output devices: 3 x 645mg Hitec in the neck, 4 x Mabuchi RS380 12v DC motors, 2 Hitec 5995tg in elbows, 2 x Power HD 1501mg shoulders
  • Control method: semi controlled
  • CPU: 3 x EZB 120 mhz, AMD 2ghz x86, Nvidia GTX 560ti for video processing
  • Operating system: Windows 7, Ez Builder
  • Power source: 2 x 12v 9ah batteries, 110v external power supply
  • Programming language: Ez Builder, SDK software
  • Sensors / input devices: Ultrasonic sensors x 16, Ultrasonic and IR long range Radar
  • Target environment: shows, Dragoncon, Makerfaire, home, Conventions

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/jarvis-2000-by-josh-starnes-powered-by-ez-robot-modded-tomy-omnibot-2000

Looks like

It looks like what I had originally planned for my 2000, stretch the body to make it taller and add sensors. I just painted mine and fixed a broken arm and will probably just put it up on Ebay since I have too much on my plate already. Did you motorize the other arm?

It is later today (actually

It is later today (actually tomorrow) and I am waiting for the update :slight_smile: Haha, a promise is a promise :slight_smile:

Cool stuff that big robot. I am sure that I have lots of questions once you told us more about it. Is he running with Linux or Windows?

He said

He said “layer” not “later”. He updated it in an alternate universe layer that’s above ours in the multiverse.

website or youtube channel

My youtube channel name is Machinephsychology and I have maybe 8000 views since I started, it ispretty small but I am working or more videos with better quality. I may start editing them as well to have titled and stuff.  I dont have a website yet but I bought joshstarneslabs.com with the intent of hosting all my past and present projects. RIght now all my robots are on ez-robot.com under the projects section. My username is jstarne1 there as well. :slight_smile: between my handful of projects I have about 4800 posts this year.

arms

I gutten the original gears and sold them 20 bucks a set.  The old gears are slow and weak and break east.  I am swapping the elbows with 400 oz servos Hitec 5995tg servos and the shoulder is servo city servo 1500 oz servo.

buy parts

If you want to sell it for a reasonable price or part it out let me know.

Does it move?

Does it move?

does it move yet

It’s being assembled and wired , I’m waiting on the next generation controllers to be released from ez robot. I have ran the base around the house independent of the upper torso and head for mobility and weight tests. I van post those videos. I have been able to lug around about 45 pounds effortlessly on wood and tile floor. I will find and add the video.  

uploaded lots of prepaint videos

I have several others but I am just showing the videos of the successes in the project. There are times I try things and they don’t work out so I omit them from submission. I have videos of how I did many of the mods.and videos of me actually doing some of the cuts and things too live.  Again these are pretty much all prepaint. 

Making wheel tread

I just got my Omnibot 2000 back together. I just painted it and moved the broken arm piece to the non-motorized arm and ran a bolt through it to keep it together. The arm works ok like that and the bolt head gives the 'bot a more mechanical look.

Anyhow, I need to make some treads but don’t have a good one to copy. I’ll probably just make my own pattern or go with something entirely different. You think that silicone will hold up?

The big problem is the gripper foam, haven’t seen anyone replace them yet. Are you going to do anything with yours?

Oh, and you asked about me selling it. Unfortunately I need to get every dollar I can out of it to fund my other projects so it’s going up on Ebay at an inflated price. Also selling an Omnibot and, as soon as I find a crystal for the remote receiver, a Hero Jr. I still need to make the battery charger for the Hero Jr and both Omnibots.

selling your omni

Honestly man I’ve bought a couple omnibot.2000 and restored them to working original order and even cleaned all the plastic stains off from yellowing. I retained all the factory stickers except on the arms that I replaces with original spares and on both of them I managed to get 160 plus shipping.  I felt screwed. If I can offer any advice it is to just sell it as it is as it will bring just as much money in “as is” condition without any tires at all than wasting hours of your time making it nicer.  Theost I ever saw one go for was about 260 and it was right before Christmas and other bots selling at the same time didn’t break 200.

As far as the RTV silicone gasket maker , I would say it’s just as good as the original tires and the RTV is not chemical sensitive to bleach , pine sol or other household cleaners that leave residue on floors. I have seen original tires turn to goop on accident from everyday cleaner residue that I thought was completely try in my kitchen and tile floor. After that I pulled my original tires off and proactively replaced them to reduce the chance of turning to goop. You can also buy a Rover 5 and use the treads that come with it on the omnibot 2000 wheels. Just cut to fit and use black silicone adhesive.

That may have been awhile ago

I see the 2000s on Ebay going for $200 in working condition. I fixed up and sold a complete, clean, fully working and in the box Omnibot for $250. Takes a little while but the money is there. The problem is that the as-is ones are too high (plus shipping) to buy and recondition. By then you just break even. I haven’t tested the market for modified Omnibots.

Personally I can’t see hacking up a working Omni2k, I’d rather take the $200 and buy parts for my home built robots although I would like to use the head on one of my projects. If I ever get ahold of a trashed one I’ll keep the head and part out the rest. Same with my Hero Jr, I could gut it and update with new parts or fix up, sell, and build a similar one from scratch. Since I can’t find the right crystal for the remote receiver I’m debating on selling the remote and installing a custom setup. But then it’s not original and I might not get top dollar.

With all the work you’ve done on this one seems to me you could have built it from scratch. Any plans for a ground up robot build?