It's my first robot thing. I want to make a reverse gimbal camera going along a ramp in the air with 2 times 90 degrees turn

Hi,

I’m very excited about this, I just don’t now where to start.
I found a lot of interesting tutorial, but nothing for what I want to do, so I don’t know where to start.

I’m gonna try to explain the best I can what I want to do.
I have a room where I film music bands. I have 3 fixed installed PTZ camera.

But I wanted to add a little extra. I want to make a ramp that can go on the left, then front then right side of the band using a remote control. Like a big U.

I don’t want bluetooth, I would rather have RF.

I already found out how to make a revese gimbal to install the camera to prevent jumps, and add batteries for the weight at the bottom so it stays straight.

The part I’m not sure what to do, is the moving part along the ramp and it’s able to make the 90 degrees turn. I must be able to control the speed and also that it doesn’t go crazy once it hits the 2 ends of the ramp. I think it’s not that much about speed, if its too fast, the viewers will not like it. but because of the weight, torq may be important I think.

I thought about a lot of differet way to make the rail, i may be wrong but my best guess until now is a reverse T rail.

On this imafe the blue linnes are the T ramp. The red are the wheels. the Green are the 2 motors, the purple line would be some sort of aluminum plate over the the plate with the organge, would be the batteries and the electronic for the RF and motors. and the Brown underneat, don’T worry about it, it’s the gimbal and this part I found out how to to it.

I estimated the weight of the motors, batteries, gimbal, camera and aluminum plate will be max 4 pounds. But more like between 2 or 3.

The RF remote only needs to have a stick going left or right and the more I push on it, the faster it goes and if it release it, it will go back in the middle so doing nothing.

Am I going the wrong way with this ?
The camera is independant, But I also thought that maybe later, I couls use the up down stick to change the angle of the camera. but it’s not important really.

I don’t know what kind of motor I need or servo or rf. I even thought buy a remote control car and dismantel it… but where is the fun? :slight_smile:

Thank oyu so much for your advise and even webistes to help me learn.

Kind regards,

Michel.

1 Like
  1. Motor Selection:
  • Choose motors that can provide sufficient torque to move the camera assembly along the ramp. Stepper motors or DC motors with appropriate gearboxes are common choices for this type of project.
  • Consider the power requirements, weight capacity, and control capabilities of the motors. Ideally, they should be compatible with your RF control system.
  1. RF Control System:
  • Look for RF transmitter and receiver modules that can meet your requirements for remote control. There are various RF modules available with different ranges and features.
  • Consider the control mechanism you mentioned (a stick going left or right). Look for RF modules that support analog input or joystick-style controls.
  • Ensure that the RF control system operates on a frequency band that is legal and suitable for your region.
  1. Mechanical Construction:
  • Build the ramp structure using materials such as aluminum, steel, or sturdy plastics. Ensure it is stable and can support the weight of the camera assembly.
  • Install wheels or other appropriate mechanisms to allow smooth movement along the ramp. Consider using bearings or low-friction materials to reduce resistance.
  • Attach the motors securely to the ramp structure and connect them to the wheels or drive mechanism.
  1. Control and Automation:
  • Develop a control system that allows you to control the speed and direction of the camera assembly. This can be achieved using microcontrollers or single-board computers like Arduino or Raspberry Pi.
  • Interface the RF receiver module with the control system to receive commands from the remote control.
  • Implement appropriate algorithms or logic to ensure the camera assembly doesn’t go out of control when it reaches the ends of the ramp.
1 Like

I created a cardboard model of my system, and I realised I need to add some V groove wheels with springs to stay aligned with the PVC rail. This is very inetresting.

1 Like