Is this an IR receiver?

Do you think this is an IR receiver? (from a panasonic video camera that died a while ago)

IMG_2524.jpg

If so, any ideas how I might:

get it off? (- the length of the inner square is about 4 mm)  I am tempted to use a hacksaw around the outside square...

find its datasheet?

Hmmm... I think it might be a photo resistor.  This seems to be an IR transmitter and receiver (marked 1C51 43A) (??) (in front of an enormous capacitor):

IMAG0565.jpg

On the lower pic, there is a
On the lower pic, there is a IR receiver

Using a hacksaw to remove

Using a hacksaw to remove compontents from a board is… unconventional. Look up some YouTube videos on how to desolder.

Also, beware that capacitor. It’s probably for the flash and can hold a hefty charge even if the camera has been off for a while. ; j

Using a hacksaw to remove

(duplicate post content removed)

capacitor

Yes, I was wary of it, but the camera has been out of commission for over a year.  I also rested the contacts on some metal.  Is there a correct procedure for discharging a capacitor?

I hope it is the remote receiver

b/c that’s what I’m searching for.  They are located under the lens and paired so I assumed that they are for focussing. I have gotten them off.  The pins are a little ragged now.  I need more practice.  

For camera flash capacitors

For camera flash capacitors and others of a similar size or smaller you can just touch the contacts together with a metal object like you’ve done. Just make sure the metal isn’t touching anything else that might be sensitive, fingers included.

A screwdriver with an insulated handle makes the ideal tool.

For larger capacitors a better option is to attach a bleeder resistor with the appropriate power rating, but you’re not likely to run into anything that big unless you start dismantling power supplies, TVs, etc.

can’t get it working,

<sigh> can’t get it working, can’t find a data sheet (says “1C51 43A” on the back)

Have ordered some receivers, now have to wait…

Tamight be it’s fine and I’m

Ta

might be it’s fine and I’m just doing it wrong, but have ordered some fresh ones anyway.  Then I’ll know I’m doing it wrong.  Was really hoping to reuse these parts.  Oh well, I will get to reuse the camera remote.