Is this allowed on here

Hey I was wondering if I could ask AI and coding/programming related questions here. If so then I’m making my own AI assistant and you know how you can ask say Alexa to turn the lights on I was wondering if and how I can make my assistant do it. I know you need a smart bulb but is there away to connect my assistant to it so it can turn it on. Sorry if this is hard to understand I will happily ask questions if you need further information. Thank you

1 Like

Yeah, that is totally fine! :slight_smile:

Neat idea!

Yes, your bulb(s) would definitely need to have a way to connect or communicate with your home assistant (such as an Alexa). There are probably many possible ways to get this to happen (either directly or indirectly connecting the bulb with Alexa).

An easy way would probably to have a bulb that connects to your home WiFi (same WiFi/network as your Alexa device) so that they can communicate with each other over that network.

Aside from WiFi, there are plenty of other technologies available for smart devices… such as LoRa, Z-Wave, Zigbee, OpenThread, Matter (previously known as CHIP), etc… I personally have a soft spot for OpenThread due to how easy it is to integrate with other IPv6 networks.

What kind of requirements do you have for your bulb?

1 Like

I haven’t made my own assistant yet or got a bulb(the bulb is just an example) I just need to know how to connect something like a smart bulb to MY own assistant. Sorry about the late reply:)

1 Like

Well, as mentioned above, there are quite a few ways to go about it.

I have a bias for OpenThread specifically at this moment in time (and IEEE 802.15.4 overall), but realistically it may be easier if you are new to all of this to simple use WiFi since that is pretty easy to interface with and program for.

And since you are talking about smart bulbs another important questions comes up: will the bulb(s) be mains powered? If so, then WiFi is probably the easiest.
If it is instead battery powered than maybe considered a type of wireless interface with lower power requirements (such as 802.15.4-based ones) might be important to save on battery use.

1 Like

I’m going to have it on a raspberry pie(if that makes sense) and I don’t know how I would program it to turn the lights on(I’m using python)