Is the L298N Motor Driver to weak to run 4 12v DC motors?

Hi I recently bought a robot kit that has 4 12V DC motors
and I also bought a 12v rechargeable battery. and the L298N Motor Driver (used it before so I know how to use it)
But when start the robot it can barley drive. Is this due to the lack of power from the motor driver or is the something else that can be the cause?

Hello @Grizzlyman,

Could you provide more details about the motors you have?

The L298N has two channels so I’m guessing you are connecting 2 motos in parallel on each channel. If so, then you need to consider the current draw from 2 motors and if that total is less than what the driver can handle (2A).

Anyway, I leave you these two tutorials because they could be helpful to you

2 Likes

Hello.
Thanks for the answer, unfortunately not, The motors came with the kit and no info about them except 12v
But Im guessing 4 dc motors are to much for the L298N motor driver, I can try using only two of them

Thank you anyway

Oh, I see. Well, you could share a link to the kit or upload some pictures of the motors, maybe someone in the forum is familiar with them and can help with the unknown specs.

Anyway don’t be discouraged because there’s a possibility that you can use the 4 motors, if they are like these ones:
https://www.quora.com/Can-I-run-4-12-volt-DC-motors-in-the-L298N-motor-driver

Or maybe you can use a different configuration, like the one used in this tutorial:

Good luck with your project!