IR vs Ultrasonic Sensor

I have used ultrasonic sensors in the past. However, i have noticed they have a wide arc of vision. I want very precise sensor readings for my new project, and I was curious as to the pros and cons for either sensor option, or something else. I am mainly looking for affordablilty and precision.

My plan is to take input

My plan is to take input from multiple sensors located around the robot and map it into a grid of maybe 1" squares. I want readings percise enough that if I take a few and average them I can get a pretty good idea of what is in the square.

Do you know the concept behind 3d scanners?

Their setup would be very useful for getting precise readings.

Blinkers…we called’em

Blinkers…we called’em blinder’s… :wink:

heres something else to think about …Native people carved a narrow slit into a whale rib and made goggles …The tiny slit would only allow a little light through …this prevented snow blindness…

Light and sound …two different things …but wave’s none the less…

a guy could probably experiment with something as simple a black tape and foam food trays to get a sweet spot with either sensor.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

Any particular reason a guy

Any particular reason a guy couldnt use some thing like this??

http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/fn67/fn6732.pdf

http://www.intersil.com/en/products/optoelectronics/proximity-sensors/light-to-digital-sensors/ISL29021.html

IR is definitely not so cool

IR is definitely not so cool for projects outdoors, the ambient light would literally “troll” your project :D 

But it is pretty efficient if your project is taking place indoors. 

For eg: line following indoors using IR would be great, but outdoors, without any shielding or other measures, it’s a bad idea.

I have used the HC-SR04s. They are accurate, but i wouldn’t say that they are totally efficient. I guess the nature of the surface would determine the results. I got constant readings without any flaws on a perfectly smooth surface, however, results varied a lot when the surfaces where rough or bumpy.

What project is it that you are trying to implement ultrasonic/IR communication?  

It is an indoor robot, so

It is an indoor robot, so that is not a problem. The surfaces will be relatively regular. What I am looking for is the narrowest beam possible.