Interfacing an 08m with a 74hc595 shift register

Hi all,

Spent the most of teh day trying to wrap my head around a bit of code I was trying to create. Working on a project to use a 08M PICAXE to drive an LCD using some help from a 74HC595 shift register. I had teh LCD wired in manual mode and it work perfectly but now I am trying to do teh same via code with no luck. I am using a routine i found out there on teh web to blast a bit at a time to the shift register so that the outputs can have the value i need to send to the LCD. my code so far is in development with me trying to just send teh init commands.

I tried the below code but did not get the shiftreg to keep the value i sent this is confirmed by putting a led in series with a rsistor against each pin I expected to be high.

the Serout of the 8m is linked to the DS of the shiftreg

output 1 of the pic is being used as my clock pulse pin

both clocks are tied together on the shiftreg ( read somewhere that this was one way of doing it but would require an extra clock cycle to full the data register)

OE is tied low as well as SRCLR of the shift reg

any help in nudging me along would be great

==============================================================================

#Picaxe 08M

SYMBOL SERIALDATAPIN = 0

SYMBOL CLOCK = 1

SYMBOL RS = 2 ; 0 - Command Mode 1 - Data Mode

SYMBOL LCD_ENABLE = 4

SETFREQ M4

pause 1000

gosub INIT_LCD

main:

goto main

INIT_LCD:

LOW RS

;for the shift register

HIGH CLOCK

let b1 = 56 ; 8bit mode 2lines 5x7 matrix

;SERTXD(#b1)

gosub SHIFT_OUT

pause 5

; for the LCD

HIGH LCD_ENABLE

pause 2

LOW LCD_ENABLE

let b1 = 15 ; Turn on cursor to blink 

;SERTXD(#b1)

gosub SHIFT_OUT

pause 5

; for the LCD

HIGH LCD_ENABLE

pause 2    

LOW LCD_ENABLE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

RETURN

SHIFT_OUT:

HIGH CLOCK

let b2=b1

let b4=0

for b3=0 to 7

b4 = b2 & %00000001

if b4=0 then

LOW SERIALDATAPIN

else

HIGH SERIALDATAPIN

endif

pulsout CLOCK,1

b2 = b2 /2

pause 20

;wait 2

next b3

pulsout CLOCK,1

RETURN

Duane I figured it out it
Duane I figured it out it turns out I didn’t understand that outputs Q0-Q7 was representing the binary values as they are . I was expecting Q0 to be the lower order bit when in fact it was the highest. Once I got that out of the way I used some LEDs as you suggested and Walah the LEDs light themselves in the correct counting order.

I just need now to rewire the lcd and continue writing my driver

Q0|Q1|Q2|Q3|Q4|Q5|Q6|Q7
128|64|32|16|8|4|2|1

Thanks again a second pair of eyes and brains between them is always good to have