Interfacing a Load Cell With an Arduino Board | RobotShop Community

can strain gauge load cell can be directly connected to arduino board?

can i use relay instead of amplifier for inetrfacing solenoidvalve to thr arduino? if it is possible please say what type of relay i have to used?

@nishanthi: Yes, it can. But, the results will most likely not be very useful. The changes in voltage from the load cell will most likely not be detectable with an Arduino’s ADC pins. The Arduino ADC has a 10-bit resolution, so over a range of 5-0 V DC, it would have a theoretical sensitivity of ~4.9 mV. Most load cells that we cell have an output of ~1 mv/V, or about ~3.3 mV @ 3.3 V DC (the excitation voltage of the shield). This means the Arduino would probably not even be able to detect at all the signal in a best case scenario. We strongly recommend using a proper amplifier to connect your load cell, such as this one (one channel) and this one (two channels).

@nishanthi: Concerning a solenoid valve, it is an inductive load. We recommend that you use a relay, such as these ones. For an Arduino platform, you can check these out specifically.

@shan: Concerning a solenoid valve, it is an inductive load. We recommend that you use a relay, such as these ones. For an Arduino platform, you can check these out specifically. The relay type will mostly depend on what voltage and current your solenoid valve requires.

1. actually i have 24V solenoid valve. i have to interface this valve to arduino board. so you said you can use 4 state relay 12v. my question is 12v relay is sufficient to produce high current to drive this valve?? if it is not possible can i use two 12v relay instead of 24v relay if it is not 2) 4 state relay can be used for drive solenoid valve which is interfaced with the arduino mega 2560??? sir actually we have 24V solenoid valve and this is interfaced to the arduino. for this you already said you can use relay. so shall we can use two 12v relay ???

@shan: Such a question is beyond the blog post comments. We recommend that you instead post about your project on our forum here.

Can i know the readings that will be got as output for the above posted sample code??

@chandini: The source code outputs to the serial port a value mapped to a weight based on the voltage output of the load cell / shield (converted by the Arduino’s ADC). You can also check out our simple library (with examples) available here.

sir i have to interface load cell with arduino board.so i need to control the load cell using arduino, please send the coding for control load cell using arduino???

@ Paul G. Please check the link below
http://ibin.co/2YksygXh1ArU
You can see how 4 Strain Gauges (50 Kg / pc times 4 nos used to measure Total Body weight of 200 Kg) used.
I guess the info will be helpful.

@shan: To use a load cell with an Arduino board, you will need an amplifier of some kind, such as the RB-Onl-38 (the product mentioned in this article). You can find the Arduino library for it here.

@ Paul, Vijay: We do offer some 50 kg load cells, such as RB-Phi-121 and RB-Phi-120.

Hello,
I am using an Arduino Uno/ Mega to connect a 100 kg S -type load cell using the Wheatstone Amplifier Shield.The smallest change that I have been able to observe is about 0.1kg.I would like to know whether the gain could be modified to improve the output value.
Thanks.
Link to load cell :https://www.robotshop.com/en/type-s-load-cell-100-kg.html

@Kersley: Yes, the gain can be changed, as mentioned here. Also, please note that RB-Onl-38 works on 3.3 V DC, therefore you should connect the 3.3 V DC to the AREF pin and use this function (external) in your code to ensure maximum accuracy. Also, please note that the Arduino boards do not include a decoupling capacitor on the AREF pin, so we recommend that you add one when you connect it to the 3.3 V DC source.

hello.
I’m ashish from india. I’m making automatic washing machine using arduino. I want to add overweight feature in that. So i’m confused what sensor to use. After 3.3kg of cloths adding in wasing machine it will give output voice msg as “overweight please remove some cloths”. so please help me to select sensor selecting… :frowning:

@ashish You need a force sensor, strategically placed, connected to a microcontroller and either an LCD display, LED or voice module.

I’m trying to hook up a jewelry scale (strain gauge) to an arduino uno. I’ve followed various wiring schematics and I am using a INA125P amplifier. For some reason, my serial print values are arbitrary and changing the weight on the scale has no effect on my readings. Does anyone have an example of code or another wiring diagram that would work? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

@Andrew Wierzbicki: Since this is a complex issue, we recommend that you create a topic on our forum here or on our project-oriented website, Lets’s Make robots.

The amplifier is currently back ordered, are there any other amplifiers that I could use?