Instruction Manual for Autonomous Combo Kit (A4WD1CC-KT)

I am looking for the instructions for the kit mentioned above. The posted instructions seem to be out of date. The instructions refer to Botboard II but I received a Botboarduino. They are very different layouts. Is there existing documentation for the autonomous rover kit with Botboarduino?

@Cambone Welcome to the RobotShop Community. You can find information related to the A4WD1 here: http://www.lynxmotion.com/driver.aspx?Topic=assem05

For the BotBoarduino, there is the following if you want to control it using a Lynxmotion PS2 remote:

The BotBoarduino guide:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build185.htm

1 Like

I was trying to set it up to run autonomously with IR sensors, but I think I will just go the Ps2 controller route. Although, that makes it more of an RC car than a robot

Exploring the PS2 sample code will give you headway into designing using IR sensors. Welcome to the wonderful World of Robotics!

I’m waiting on a Ps2 controller, but wrote a simple program to test the robot. Would you mind looking at my code? I’m trying to get the rover to move several feet and then pause, but nothing happens when I turn it on. Do I need 6v going to the VS to get the motors to work? Right now I only have Botboarduino on 9v battery. Here’s my code.

#include <Servo.h> 

// create servo objects to control the servos
Servo servoleft; // left servo
Servo servoright; // right servo

void setup(){
 Serial.begin(9600);

// Attaches servos to digital pins 3 and 4 on the BotBoarduino
 servoleft.attach(3);
 servoright.attach(4); 
 servoleft.write(70);
 servoright.write(70);  
}

void loop(){ }

It’s best to use the guide here:

The connections (incl power) are below. The alternative would be to split the main battery between the motor controller and the EXT for VL on the BotBoarduino (provided it’s 12V).

Regarding code, there’s sample code here which uses the PS2:
https://raw.github.com/Lynxmotion/Rovers/master/Rover_2WD_PS2/Rover_2WD_PS2.ino

Yes, I loaded the sample code but the Ps2 library seems to be deprecated. My IDE would not recognize it as a library. It seems like a lot of the documentation on the Lynxmotion site is out of date. I’m already having some buyer’s remorse. It seems like a lot of other people are having issues with this kit. There’s only one or two videos out there of it actually working.

To be able to help, we need details. The PS2 library is not included by default with the Arduino software - you need to load it (or place it) in the libraries folder. Checked just now using the most recent IDE version and there are no issues running the PS2 sample code.

However, don’t know if it works with the online web-based IDE.

The A4WD1 kit is effectively a chassis, motors, wheels, motor controller and Arduino-based microcontroller. It’s intended for autonomous mobile robot development (i.e. people who want to add sensors and do some programming). The basic kit does not include any sensors because it’s not great to increase the price without knowing if the customer will want make use of them.

Why did you chose that particular kit? Did you have any objectives in mind?

I’ll give it another try when I get my Ps2 controller. I’m a software developer who wants to learn more about hardware-level programming and electronics. I’m just a little disappointed by the lack of documentation. My kit arrived with IR sensors but no mounting hardware, so I’m going the controller route. It just seems like a spent a lot of money for an incomplete kit with poor instructions.

Hmm, my bad and you’re entirely correct that there are some IR sensors included (just checked the contents). There’s the sensor bracket:

Given that you’re in the USA, we can send three of these free of charge, along with a Lynxmotion PS2 remote to try to make up for the lack of documentation (don’t see any PS2 ordered under this email).

Note that you’ll still need a 12V NiMh or 11.1V LiPo battery and charger (do you have these?). We can’t comp these unfortunately.

Most people opt for the A4WD1 for its size, and they tend to have an application in mind which they are aiming for.

Great, thank you. I have a battery and the rover runs. I was able to make a simple program to rotate the wheels at different rates and directions. I’m looking forward to getting the Ps2 remote to try and interface an input instead of just running on pre-programmed code.