Information on RFID reader models

Hi,
I have a question considering types of RFID readers. Would be great if you can help me.
I want to track snails in a distance of a about 1m and record their movements - if possible in a mm range - to study their activity phases over several months.
The study is outdoors and I would need an RFID reader which can indendently be left outside in the field (at the snail habitat).
Can you help me, which type of RFID reader (UHF) can detect movements of RFID tags that precisely? Is there something ike that existing?
It would be great if you might be able to help me

Kind regards
Christiane

1 Like

@CRichter Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Note that RFID technology (at least that I’m aware of) only knows if the tag is “within range”, as opposed to being able to determine a position in space (one or multiple dimensions). As in the tag is detected or not, and if it is detected, the reader gets the tag ID / number. I am also not aware of any RFID readers being able to get signal strength to get an idea of the range.

If it’s only a field of 1 square meters, you might consider a vision system (camera) with high enough accuracy. It will involve quite a bit of programming though.

Technologies for indoor localization tend not to be even close to the accuracy you need:

GPS and outdoor tech augmented with GNSS tend to be in centimeter level precision:

1 Like