Indoor positioning system for individual positioning of multiple robots (obstructed line of sight)

Hi!

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering.

Description:

I need to find a solution to determine the position of 3 different robots in a room. I do not think I can use the Marvelmind system because they require a clear line of sight – my robots are spheric (hamster balls) and covered with a thick “skin” of silicon so I can’t just put a beacon on top – any beacon or tag would need to be inside the robot.

Precision can be ± 10 cm but up to ± 50 cm would still be okay.

Hardware concerned:

Robots already exist ESPs and servo motors. They are controlled externally via UDP. The ESPs connect to a single router. However, any solution could work – just mentioning that we are already using WiFi.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

I would look for Time of Flight Principle radio frequency systems. This type of technology should be able to pass through your “skin” made of silicon.

You can find some of them here on roboshop simply searchin ToF:

https://www.robotshop.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=ToF&order=relevance&dir=desc

In the end we have been using UWB technology (Decawave DWM1000). It works like a charm, I was very impressed by the technology.