Ignoble Idiocy

Picaxe-08 Protoboard F-up

OK, it’s been a while since I’ve had an F-up I felt worthy of this post. This one definitely is.

I’m working on a new project using the Picaxe-08 proto board (pictured below). I had everything working in prototype on a breadboard, and just needed to transfer the circuit to the protoboard to complete the project.

axe021.jpg

Notice how in the picture there are little lines connecting groups of three contact points? Well, I didn't. Even though I've used one of these boards before, I completely forgot about this very nice feature. I laid out the board assuming none of these contacts were connected.

Surprise! The circuit didn't work. I don't think I fried anything (I hope not), but I've lost at least 2-3 hours work and have to unsolder all my mistakes and start over. Grrrrrrrr.

Gee, it’s been over two

Gee, it’s been over two years since I posted a screw up. I guess I was due.

This one is more procedural than technical. I needed some parts for a robot kit I’m putting together. Time was running short before I needed the kits ready. I researched my parts, placed my order and anxiously waited for a week for their arrival.

When they arrived today, I began testing parts and found that the DPDT 9V relays I selected were 2-coil latching type relays. So instead of ‘normal’ momentary operation, I they need one coil energized to make contacts one way, and then they STAY that way unless you energize the other coil. I can’t make my circuit work with that without considerable modification.

Sooo, request an RMA, order new relays (hopefully correct this time), and bite my nails as the date for the kids robot exhibit approaches.

Lesson: READ THE STUPID DATA SHEET!!!