Ideas for a Children's Museum Exhibit

There's a very small children's museum near me, and I've talked to them about putting together a robot exhibit. They've shown some interest, so I'm going to put together some ideas. Here's where you come in...

The 'museum' is basically just a large room at a community center. They don't have a dedicated space, so this is not to be a permanent exhibit. They can set up tables for different kids' activities. The events I've seen at the place had to be pretty open to accomodate a range of ages. Also, I would expect that most activities would be manned by volutneers. A demonstration or video presentation could be scheduled, but other activities would just have to be available throughout the day or weekend.

My idea is to have a bunch of tables where kids could learn and experiment with different aspects of robotics. For example:

• Gears: Kids free play with pegboards and build gear systems. Two pre-set displays show how different gear ratios affect the ability to lift a weight.
  • Motors and Generators: Two identical gear motors are electrically connected so that one acts as a generator to power the other. A switch would allow the generator to power a light bulb or LED instead. Kids can crank the generator to power the light or turn the other motor.
  • Batteries: A fixed display of batteries of different types shows kids something familiar. A supply of potatos, zinc and copper allow them to build their own batteries and power an LED.
  • Motion: A comparison of different methods of motion. Kids can play with platforms that have wheels, tracks, legs, etc. and see how they compare over flat ground, bumps, ramps, and other terrain.
  • Turning: Example platforms the kids can play with that show differential steering Vs. front and/or rear wheel steering.

You get the idea, I think.

For the demo/video portion, I thought about showing a variety of commerial robot toys, and asking the kids to identify how some of them work, based on their experience at the tables. Then I'd show fun videos of various robots (hobby, industrial, toys, etc.) in use.

There's a potential for a more focused workshop with older kids who would sign up for a 2-3 day class that includes building and programming a robot.

So, I need thoughts on the structure of the program, ideas for activity tables, demo/video thoughts, and build a robot workshop thoughts.

Go.

Update: 2011-06-19

I got the go-ahead from the local children's museum for a robotics exhibit this fall. Now it gets real.

Great post

Sadly, I don’t have much to add but I would like to hear input on this subject as well. I’ve been considering a workshop like you describe. We have a science and space museum that I think would be receptive to such a thing. They actually have a lot of hands-on stuff for the young but it involves similar things that you’ve outlined; activities geared more for the neophytes. I was hoping to add something for the more savvy youth but I can’t wrap my head around not using a soldering iron. I guess I’m scheming something more like the “more focused workshop” you mentioned. 

I had considered making a mostly pre-fab/solderless bristlebot but I would need to find vendors with cheaper small-quantity prices. I also considered the ever-popular sumobot but the parts for even a simple mini sumo make my incurred charges increase geometrically. Plus I’d like to build a sumo first before acting like I know how to guide other people through the build process hehe

I was thinking of asking the fine fellows at Sparkfun for advice on how to conduct beginner classes. I need to figure out exactly what I want to ask them first. They seem to have their “intro-to” events figured out pretty well. What I fear is people will start saying the word “insurance” if I point out the possibilities of young human flesh being seared. Regardless, I’m thinking about it too.

Solar bots !!! You could

Solar bots !!! You could make some really cheap as a build it yourself kit or make an exhibit that is completely self sustainable.

Also there is nothing for programming. Perhaps some kind of track/maze/Goldberg device where a marble rolls around. Before the “game” starts the kids have to program some actuators with buttons/potentiometers (basically get the order/timing right). If they do it right the marble makes it all the way through. If they don’t it get’s stuck somewhere on it’s path and they have to restart.

Also maybe something about history? Like an exhibit of how first came the switch, then relays, then transistors. Basically showing the evolution of logic?

Or perhaps some display where kids can arrange logic gates to complete some task? (ie having a candy dispensed to them)

From my experience kid’s do better when they get to interact with an exhibit. Traditional museums largley fail at this. Now a days with youtube and google I can see 100 things in 20 minutes without having to move - but I can’t always interact with them.

For a presentation you could always show cool stuff people did here on LMR - hopefully inspire the youngins.

I like the build it yourself workshop idea. A simple robot using a bare bones arduino would have a reasonable price range and be fun! 

All the best in this endeavor!

Hey, Gonzik! Nice ideas. I

Hey, Gonzik! Nice ideas. I was planning on some programming for the workshop, but the idea of having them practice logic-based problem solving with switches and pots is great!

I also like your progression of the logic gate, although you left out the vacuum tube!

I totally agree on the interactivity bit. I would love to build a robotic arm and have the kids control it to pick up objects and drop them in a bucket.

You’ll need a lot of

You’ll need a lot of supervision if you go with soldering, and it cuts out the really young kids. If size isn’t an issue, Snap Circuits kits let you build some pretty cool stuff, and it just snaps together.

Breadboards would be an easy way to go too, and then the class equipment is resuable.

Awesome

Yes, great ideas. I agree completely with the interactivity bit. The S&S museum does a good job with that. Even though they demonstrate simple principles, the kids really get into it. They almost seem to be trying wear the exhibit out.

I’m always fond of solar bots but they are really dependent on intense light. It can put a cramp in plans destined for a dimly lit conference room. I also like the second idea you mentioned. Perhaps a partially completed Rube machine (Mousetrap game style?) that needs to have certain subsections assembled, ie logic gates, relays, lights for optosensors. I like the idea of an actual goody as a victory prize at the end. Maybe something relavent. Hey, candy works for me, but some people aren’t really motivated by simple concentrated carbohydrates :wink: Great idea, G. This would make the education part not such a dismal, esoteric, unapplied exercise cut out of a textbook.

You got my mind churning, Gonzik, well done. You sound as if you’ve done something like this before, yes?

why not try getting them to make bristle bots?

you can make them with a tothbrush, a pager motor and a watch battery - very satisfying for the young - I’m going to try this with the local cub group. They really do move !

take a look at this link - see what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSTXUis_ys

Hey, I just want to say

Hey, I just want to say thumbs up to the project, cool :slight_smile:

Nice idea! I’ll have to

Nice idea! I’ll have to search for cheap sources for a bunch of pager motors and tooth brushes!

We can even add some googly eyes and paste 'em on for some extra fun. Maybe some markers to let the kids customize their bristlebot.

There is a Crest toothbrush

that has replacable heads and it vibrates via a small pager motor w/ an offset weight. Not exactly a cheap choice, but, it is all available in a single package.

Electronic Goldmine has the

Electronic Goldmine has the lowest priced vibrating motors I’ve seen @ $.89. Make a post if you find them for cheaper!

Using the NITE software in

Using the NITE software in the Openni package in ROS with an kinect, You could track people’s hands and have a robot arm mimic their movements

Heh. I went right to the

Heh. I went right to the Electronic Goldmine after my last post and checked those out. They are sitting in my wishlist along with another motor that comes with a 3V coin battery for something like $1.37.

I’ll check that out, but

I’ll check that out, but cheap is going to be a necessity, since I won’t have much of a budget. I’d like to be able to let the kids keep their creations, so whatever I spend on bristlebots won’t be reusable.

I built this control console

I built this control console set piece for the Steampunk Worlds Fair.

I think I can modify this for a display with lots of cool stuff for the kids to experiment with.

I would put two cranks on the front, each connected to a gearmotor. A switch would connect the two motors together so that turning one crank makes the other rotate, and vice versa. If you put the switch in the other direction, turning the cranks generates electricity to power lights, buzzers, etc. I'd love to install a couple of panel voltmeters with this so that they can see how much electricity they are generating.

Yes. Brilliant.Step 1: Look

Yes. Brilliant.

• Step 1: Look up all those acryonyms so I can learn what they are.
  • Step 2 - ?: Learn how to do all that stuff you just said.
  • Step TBD: Implement.

I’m sure it would be super-cool, but it is currently over my head! Thanks for the suggestion.

Ah sorry, ROS is robot

Ah sorry, ROS is robot operating system (http://www.ros.org/wiki/). Openni is the open source driver for the Microsoft Kinect that allows you to use the 3D point cloud information from the Kinect (http://www.ros.org/wiki/openni_kinect). Nite is included in the openni_kinect package, this does skeleton tracking with the Kinect right out of the box.

All someone would have to do is download all this stuff (ros and openni_kinect) on a linux machine, hook up a kinect to the usb port, type a one line command into the command prompt, and the position (x,y,z) of a person’s hands are readily available, no code to write or anything. Then you would just need a little robotic arm (3 to 6 degrees of freedom), and feed the x,y,z info from the kinect to the inverse kinematics of the arm. Bingo bango you have a robotic arm that mimics people’s arms. The kinect costs $130, all the software is free, you just need a laptop a cheap servo arm (and what ever needed to drive it).

I realize it seems very involved, and probably not what you had in mind, but I just wanted to clear it up a little and point out it wouldn’t be expensive or extremely difficult.  

Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for the explanation. That really does sound pretty darn fun.

Last weekend we have seen an

Last weekend we have seen an easy to build robot kit at a science exhibition. No brain only a reflective sensor with transistors and resistors. The kids had real fun to build those little line followers and make a competition.

spurt.jpg

Build instructions can be found here (sorry all in german)

How about Play-doh :slight_smile:

http://storyofdesign.com/2011/04/05/play-doh-electronics-annmarie-thomas-gives-a-ted-talk-on-squishy-circuits/