I need help

I am stuck and need help. I want to design and build something for my brother to give him for his birthday. The basic premise is this: I want to make a device that will sound some sort of alarm when his dog comes in our goes out of his doggy door. I am at a loss for what type of sensor to use. Proximity? RFID? is there any cheap way to go that will allow me to attach something to the dog collar and something to the door opening that will make a sound when the dog passes through? Ive racked my brain and would appreciate any help.

Mahalo!

sensors

Thanks for your reply I noticed some of your other comments and you seem to know your stuff. So my question is, Is there any type of sensor out there that can trigger an alarm when a tag, or magnet, comes within say 1-2 feet of it? Im looking for the simplest and cheapest way. I considered buying an arduino today but wanted to do some more research. I really want to go the route of object detection, sticking to something mounted on the collar that triggers an alarm when his dog, Hero, passes through the door.

Hello there,First off, rule

Hello there,

First off, rule #7 (of https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/lmr/rules ) states: ’ Never write subject lines that starts with the word “Help”. ’

Now that we got that from the way, from what I understand you only need to track when the dog enters or exits through one (?) doggy door? If so, does that door has like a flap? In that case I imagine a solution as simple as a contact/switch based would do. Just place a switch in a way that when the flap is opening it closes a circuit (battery, switch, buzzer) and sets a buzzer or something. This is the simplest thing I can think of, and certainly the cheapest. A small microcontroller can be added to control debouncing, or alternatively I guess that can also be done with simple discrete components (but I guess that’s for the more electronics savvy people). 

Unless the dog is huge…

Unless the dog is huge… this: http://www.instructables.com/id/RFID-cat-door/ should be of help.

P.S. - Is the new post about this same problem? If so, there is not need to create new posts as amends to an old one. There is an “Edit” feature that lets you… edit your posts.