I bought two LSS HT1 servos but have issues

1. I ordered two Lynxmotion LSS HT1 servos and the wiki states I should use the screws supplied. However, the servos came with no screws. What size screws should I order? I know they are 2/56 but what length?

2. No manual came with the servos. If I have two servomotors in serial mode, how does the controller board identify them and differentiate between them? Do I have to program them to have a unique ID? How?

3. What size screws do the supplied horns use so I can order them?

4. The wiki states that tow add another motor in serial, I should reverse the cable … does that apply to VCC and ground as well or just the RX and TX wires?

Q1) I ordered two Lynxmotion LSS HT1 servos and the wiki states I should use the screws supplied. However, the servos came with no screws. What size screws should I order? I know they are 2/56 but what length?

There should not be any mention of screws included with the servos on their own (there may be a mention if you purchased a kit though). Can you provide a link to where this is mentioned about a single servo on the wiki?

The small mounting holes in the case (top and bottom) are for 2-56 x 1/4" screws:

The holes for mounting the horns to the case are M3, and these screws are included.

Q2) No manual came with the servos. If I have two servomotors in serial mode, how does the controller board identify them and differentiate between them? Do I have to program them to have a unique ID? How?

All Lynxmotion manuals are online, which ensures they are up to date. The manual for the servos can be found here:
https://wiki.lynxmotion.com/info/wiki/lynxmotion/view/lynxmotion-smart-servo/
The way to differentiate them is to change their ID. This is done one at a time (no other servos connected) using either the LSS Config software, or the command ID described in the communication protocol:
https://wiki.lynxmotion.com/info/wiki/lynxmotion/view/lynxmotion-smart-servo/lss-configuration-software/
https://wiki.lynxmotion.com/info/wiki/lynxmotion/view/lynxmotion-smart-servo/lss-communication-protocol/

Q3) What size screws do the supplied horns use so I can order them?

The four screws used to connect the horn to other mechanics would be the same 2-56 x 1/4" screw above. These screw used in the center of the horn would be M3 x 8mm or M3 x 10mm.
All SES V2 brackets are also meant to use 2-56 x 1/4" screws and 2-56 nuts.
https://wiki.lynxmotion.com/info/wiki/lynxmotion/view/lynxmotion-smart-servo/lss-mechanical/

Q4) The wiki states that to add another motor in serial, I should reverse the cable … does that apply to VCC and ground as well or just the RX and TX wires?

If you are using the included black serial cables, you have nothing to worry about, and one servo connects to either side of the next servo without modifying the cable. If however you are creating your own wiring, or wiring to a microcontroller or other device, it is important that you understand the pinout here:
https://wiki.lynxmotion.com/info/wiki/lynxmotion/view/lynxmotion-smart-servo/lss-electrical/
V need to always be connected to V, and GND needs to always be connected to GND. It is important to know where each of these are on either side of the servo.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Why should it make a difference if I use the supplied cable for daisy-chain but if I make my own, I’ll have to do a crossover?

Currently I have two LSS-HT1 servos. Can I connect one to the controller board with the supplied cable and connect the second to the first using the supplied cable without modifying it?

Also the online manuals are somewhat “thin” and written for experts. Newbies need basics with steps.

So if I need to program the motors and give them numbers to be on the same chain, I have to connect them individually to the controller board and run the software in the PC connected to the LSS module via a USB connector?

Q1) Why should it make a difference if I use the supplied cable for daisy-chain but if I make my own, I’ll have to do a crossover?

If you make your own, just be sure to understand the pinout on the servo, as well as the orientation of the connector(s).

Q2) Currently I have two LSS-HT1 servos. Can I connect one to the controller board with the supplied cable and connect the second to the first using the supplied cable without modifying it?

Correct. If you are using Lynxmotion electronics (LSS adapter, LSS-2IO, LSS-5VR) with LSS servos, no modifications are needed, and they can be plugged in from one to the next since the connector orientation ensures the right pins are used.

Q3) Also the online manuals are somewhat “thin” and written for experts. Newbies need basics with steps.

Very open to ideas / suggestions - feel free to describe here what you suggest might be included on the wiki.

Q4) So if I need to program the motors and give them numbers to be on the same chain, I have to connect them individually to the controller board and run the software in the PC connected to the LSS module via a USB connector?

That tends to be the fastest way to assign unique IDs to each servo (using the LSS Config software and one servo at a time). Once they each have a unique ID, they can be chained.

Why does this picture show a cross-over of wires?

You will notice the connector at either end of the standard serial cable is not a mirror image, they are inverted, which takes care of ensuring the correct pinout between servos and electronics.

1 Like

That explains it. Thank you for your help.