HQuad 500 Rotors Spinning Wrong Way

Hi Guys (DialFonso?)

Thanks for the help so far! (This follows on from the discussion on HQuad500 ESC Calibration, where the key problem experienced was that the connectors between ESCs and the Quadrino Nano had to go in the “unnatural” way rather than the “natural” way, and where the Nano and the Nano connector harness were faulty and had to be replaced.)

I’ve reached the stage where everything is connected up and motors are spinning up when I move the controller throttle stick up. The problem is that three of the motors are spinning the wrong way.

Here’s my fault-finding sequence:

1. I’ve reflashed the Nano with the ESC configuration script. This behaved as expected and made the beeps expected.

2. I then reflashed the Nano with the normal flight script, and tested by turning the HQuad 500 on and revving the throttle. All four motors spun up, but three spun the wrong way.

3. I disconnected all ESC connectors except the bottom right, three strand, D3 connector. I then reconnected and powered up, and the bottom right motor started up. This should spin clockwise, but spun anti-clockwise. I tried reversing the connector from the unnatural position to the natural position, and this, then didn’t work. I then moved it back to the unnatural position.

4. Leaving the D3 connector plugged in to power the Nano and all other connectors disconnected, I then connected the top left, D2 ESC to the brown cable. When I reconnected, the top left and bottom right motors spun up, as expected. The top left should go clockwise, but spun up anticlockwise. I tried reversing the connector from the unnatural position to the natural position, and this, then didn’t work. I then moved it back to the unnatural position.

5. Leaving the D3 connector plugged in to power the Nano and all other connectors disconnected, I then connected the top right, D5 ESC to the yellow cable. When I reconnected, the top right and bottom right motors spun up, as expected. The top right should go anti-clockwise, but spun up clockwise. I tried reversing the connector from the unnatural position to the natural position, and this, then didn’t work. I then moved it back to the unnatural position.

6. Leaving the D3 connector plugged in to power the Nano and all other connectors disconnected, I then connected the bottom left, D6 ESC to the green cable. When I reconnected, the bottom left and bottom right motors spun up, as expected. The bottom left motor ran in the direction I wanted it to go in.

To me, this shows that the ESCs should be correctly programmed, and the correct ESCs are connected to the correct cables coming from the Nano.

The problem is that the D2, D5 and D3 motors are spinning the wrong way.

Is there a software way I can change the spin direction of the D2, D5 and D3 motors? Or do I need to do something else to make it work correctly?

Thanks!

James

Hi James,

Brushless motors do not have a pinout like DC motors.
To reverse the directions, just interchange 2 of the 3 wires.

All the best

1 Like