How to use Raspberry Pi with Quadrino Nano Flight controller to automize the drone?

HI there,

I am using a Quadrino Nano Flight Controller with GPS for my drone. Also, I want to automize it using Raspberry Pi & use it for further applications.

But, the problem where I am stuck at is the coding in Quadrino Nano. It is preprogrammed & I don’t have any idea how to change the code in Quadrino Nano so that it can send & receive data from Raspberry Pi.

Any suggestions on how should I proceed with the same?

Jainesh Rathod.

Hi Jainesh,

The thing to keep in mind is that the Quadrino Nano hardware is running the open MultiWii project code.
In theory you can connect the USB cable between the Quadrino Nano and the Pi and use the already set serial protocol. (HERE)

This protocol is used to talk to a GUI like WinGUI or MultiWiiConf but anything else.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply Dialfonzo.

And as you said, I connected my Quadrino Nano with Raspberry Pi & using the Arduino IDE uploaded the following code:

int Byte;

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200); // Serial Monitor
Serial1.begin(115200); // Mwii

}

void loop() {

/* Data request */
Serial1.write(’$’);
Serial1.write(‘M’);
Serial1.write(’<’);
Serial1.write(102); // 9 DOF IMU Data Massage request

/* Read Data from Mwii */
while (Serial1.available() > 0) {

Byte = Serial1.read();  
Serial.println(Byte); // Print data from Multiwii

}

}

But, after uploading the code in the Quadrino Nano nothing happened. I mean no output on the Serial Monitor. So, I want to know where I am wrong?

And also one more question, might be a little silly but wanted to clarify it too. Since, I have uploaded the new code that I wrote above, will the old code in my Quadrino Nano be available? Because that code is responsible for making all the controls on the drone, right?

Hi Jainesh,

I cannot troubleshoot your code but if you are using the Quadrino Nano and want to use MultiWii connected to the Pi you will have to use the protocol linked before. That with MultiWii code loaded not your own code.

You can access the pinout diagram if needed for developping your own code here:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/document/PDF/LynxmotionUAV-QuadrinoNano-IO&PinOuts.pdf

The IMU on the Quadrino Nano is a MPU9250 and is i2c not serial.

To go back to MultiWii you can either downoad the full code HERE or use the FCT.

So, I tried to connect the Quadrino Nano with Raspberry Pi using I2C communication but in the Raspberry Pi, it is not showing a particular address for I2C, it keeps on changing which makes it difficult to code it.

Hi Jainesh,

I don’t think you understood what i wrote.
The Quadrino Nano is a complete Arduino compatible controller and on the PCB there are many sensors connected to the microcontroller.

When using MultiWii, you can use their serial protocol to communicate with the board.
There is not i2c communication in between the Pi and the Quadrino to do only USB connection.

This is advanced so you need to dig into the protocol link and try to communicate with the board.

Regards,

Ohh ohk. I will look into it & let you know if I have any doubt.

Thank You.