How to start in robotics as a beginnner

Hello everyone,

I know there are a lot of topics on the subject, but I think a newly updated conversation would help a lot of users who’d like to get started in robotics! Where to start? What to learn?

For resources on the RobotShop Community, you can read tutorials like How to build a robot or the basics.

Any ideas, advice and/or tips are welcome in this thread!

4 Likes

Hello @Mariane , great initiative!

First of all, I could suggest reading this robotshop’s blog, it helps me a lot. But, in the most general case, I would say:

Practice basic coding so you can program your robots. Coding is a foundational element of robotics, and you will need to know how to use variables, create conditional statements, use functions, and other basic coding skills. Choose a coding language and study it on your own or take coding classes to improve your skills.[1]

• The most popular coding languages for robotics are Python and C++.

Build your own robot using a kit or on your own to build your first robot. Once you’ve learned the basic skills for robotics, purchase a robot building kit and build your robot using coding, mathematics, and manual tinkering based on the kit’s instructions. Alternatively, you can also build your own using parts and tools you can purchase from most hardware stores.

• You can buy robot building kits online or from many electronics stores.
  • Start with simple robots and, as you gain experience, move on to complex models over time.

Join a robotics club to share your passion with others and receive advice. Robotics is not just a hobby—if you’re interested in building robots with other people, it can also be a way to make lasting friendships. Join a robotics club at your school or community center to share your hobby with other people and learn new ways to build robots.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

I would also like to add one thing :slight_smile: I think 3D design and 3D printing is also important in robotics field!

3D design of simple mechanic parts really is not that hard. I would suggest beginners to try it, to start creating simple parts (for example, shaft coupler, wheel hub, mounting bracket) in CAD software and then later on, they can create complete assemblies. They would have complete robot in their software, because, there are already a lot of 3D models prepared online (like motors, boards, etc). You just need to download them and insert in your assembly.

I used Inventor for years and it is pretty much fun. But I think this one is also good: https://www.robotshop.com/en/3d-cad.html
I hope there will be some tutorials soon regarding this!

Also, even better if you own a 3D printer. It is really easy to send your model part to the printer and have it completed in a few hours. I see there is one tutorial here: https://community.robotshop.com/tutorials/show/3d-printing , but I hope there will be more.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Need help with battery choice

Read the blogs or articles which depict what is what regarding robotics in the beginning so that you will have basic idea. It really helps.

1 Like