How to make your first robot

Vacant? oh noes lol

I received your email this morning Kyle. Despite the lack of updates and lackluster forum activity it’s still business as usual at JAKTEK. I think this must be my cue to do some updates to the website :slight_smile:

Kits

When are Jaktek and or Solarbotics going to get some more kits in stock so i can order one?

Blasted backorders

Unfortunately it’s been a continuous battle with having a solid supply of the various kit components on JAKTEK’s end. At this point it looks like things will be back to normal towards the end of June. Sorry for the inconvenience, andres.

LMR Kit Status

Hey Andres, we’re currently waiting on a shipment of servos to arrive to make the kit available again. Unfortunately, we don’t quite have a solid arrival date for them yet, but we’re hoping to have them within a couple weeks. That being said, if you’d like you can back order the kit on our site, and for $5 more we can substitute the out-of-stock servo for another model (it’s a bit more expensive, but will work just fine with the kit) so that you can get the bundle right away. Let us know if you have any questions!

warranty

I have another question, if the kit is shipped to me and some parts happened to be dammaged while in route would you guys send me free replacement parts, or would I be on my own?

Our return policy is

Our return policy is described in our FAQ. Generally speaking, yes, damage during shipping will be covered. For the record this has never been an issue before. All shipments have arrived safe and sound.

Shipping

Ditto! We ship all around the world every day, and have a pretty good track record for having everything arrive in perfect condition. That being said, we’ll also replace parts free-of-charge if they arrive in a damaged condition.

codes

Hey guys!! I build a robot the starter kit one and i entered the code which given but whenever i press program it just gives some errors i tried to fix but it was not working.So could someone please send me codes which writtern properly so i could program the robot.Anyway thanks fritsl for the instruction.Please reply

Good job on the build. The

Good job on the build. The code is tried and true and should work fine. Can you tell us what the error codes are that you’re getting? That will help narrow down the possible problems.

errors

Thanks for reply,the errors are:

main:Error: Duplicate label name - main (program editor says it)

if b1 Error: Syntax error in this line

if b1<b2 Error: Syntax error in this line

pause turn : Syntax error in this line

gosub whichway:Error Label not defined - whichway

gosub body_lturn:Error: Label not defined - body_lturn

These are codes.Can you fix it?And yes just one more thing the b0 value does,nt change no matter where i put my hand in front of it ?Thanks again

Try this code

Code from SHR video

I just downloaded it and ran it through the Program Editor’s syntax checker… 515 of 4096 bytes used, no errors.

Clean code might get some sensor readings into variable b0 so let’s start there.

picaxe commands

just built this robot and it’s awesome but cant seem to figure out how to make it move forward UNTIL it sees an object. checked out the picaxe website but it was no help involving commands for this robot. Suggestions, anyone?

Yes, you won’t find specific

Yes, you won’t find specific details on the PICAXE site about this robot. Have you tried some simple code just to test the motors? Something like:

main:{
low 4
high 5
high 6
low 7
}

This should get both motors moving in one direction or the other. Let’s try that first. Also, which code are you using currently?

double post

sorry, twitchy finger or something…

there is no problem with

there is no problem with simple commands for the robot. I just cannot seem to figure out a way to create commands for my own routines. the code i am currently using is the one given on this website.

Oh I thought you were having

Oh I thought you were having problems with getting the bot to respond correctly to the provided code. I think I understand now. I’m not sure exactly what you want the robot to do when it sees something in front of it but this might get you started. The parts that have changed from the original SHR diagnositic code has be put in bold. The robot’s behavior is described in the comments:

'Basic SHR program for diagnosics. Lifted from https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/start/ project description.

Symbol dangerlevel = 70 ’ how far away should thing be, before we react?
symbol turn = 300 ’ this sets how much should be turned
symbol servo_turn = 700 ’ This sets for how long time we should wait for the servo to turn (depending on it´s speed) before we measure distance

main: ’ the main loop
readadc 0, b1 ’ read how much distance ahead
if b1 < dangerlevel then
gosub totalhalt ’ if nothing ahead, come to a halt
else
gosub whichway ’ if obstacle ahead then decide which direction has more distance
gosub go_forward 'start driving forward
pause 3000 'lets the bot drive for three seconds…
gosub totalhalt ‘… before the bot stops and the process is repeated
end if
goto main ’ this ends the loop, the rest are only sub-routines

go_forward:’ this should be your combination to make the robot drive forward, these you most likely need to adjust to fit the way you have wired your robots motors
high 5 : high 6 : low 4 : low 7
return

whichway:
gosub totalhalt ’ first stop!

‘Look one way:
gosub lturn ’ look to one side
pause servo_turn ’ wait for the servo to be finished turning
readadc 0, b1
gosub totalhalt

’Look the other way:
gosub rturn ’ look to another side
pause servo_turn ’ wait for the servo to be finished turning
readadc 0, b2
gosub totalhalt

’ Decide which is the better way:
if b1<b2 then
gosub body_lturn
else
gosub body_rturn
end if
return

body_lturn:
high 6 : low 5 : low 7 : high 4 ’ this should be your combination that turns the robot one way
pause turn : gosub totalhalt
return

body_rturn:
high 5 : low 6 : low 4 : high 7 ’ this should be your combination that turns the robot the other way
pause turn : gosub totalhalt
return

rturn:
servo 0, 100 ’ look to one side
return

lturn:
servo 0, 200 ’ look to the other side
return

totalhalt:
low 4 : low 5 : low 6 : low 7 ’ low on all 4 halts the robot!
Servo 0,150 ’ face forward

Which servo do I get and why

Which servo do I get and why for this project?

GWS Naro+D Micro Digital Servo Motor

HS-985MG Servo motor (Hitech Robotics)

GWS Heavy Duty S677/2BBMG Servo Motor

GWS Standard SO3T STD Servo Motor

GWS S35 STD Continuous Rotation Servo Motor
Thanks a lot

GWS Naro+D Micro Digital

GWS Naro+D Micro Digital Servo: There is no need for a digital servo in this situation. You don’t need a high level of precision or a refresh rate that digital servos provide. An analog servo will do fine.

HS-985MG Servo: Way, way overkill for this application. That’s a relatively powerful servo.

GWS Heavy Duty S677/2BBMG: Also very beefy for the SHR. It also has two ball bearings which only add price in this situation.

GWS Standard SO3T servo: This servo is the most suitable of the ones you listed. Standard sized analog servo. Nothing breathtaking.

GWS S35 STD Continuous Rotation servo: This is a servo that can turn like a regular motor. You’re looking for a normal, non-continuous rotation servo.

I hope this helps.

cool

okay thanks i’ll try it!!!

Jax thanks a lot for the

Jax thanks a lot for the useful information that you have given me in your last post.

I am going to New York tomorrow if God consents. Please can you tell me from what shop there can I buy the robot parts (please I do not want to order it online)

Please can you tell me which servo is the best and why for this application from the following list:

GWS Standard SO3T STD Servo Motor

GWS Standard SO3N STD Servo Motor

GWS Standard SO3TXF 2BB Servo Motor

GWS Pico STD Servo Motor

Please if you find that there is an another servo motor which is a better one from those listed above for this application, can you write its name to me.

I will get for this application a GM9 (Gear Motor 9) 90 degree shaft, is it the best option to choose for this application or there is another one which is better to work with in this application.

Please, sorry for disturbance but about the wheels which one is better:

GMW plastic wheel

BaneBots Wheel, 3-7 / 8" x 0.8", Unfinished Mount: (which colour)

Green Rubber tread:

30 Shore A

(soft and “semi flexible”)

Orange Rubber tread:

40 Shore A

(medium)

Blue Rubber tread:

50 Shore A

(hard and “stiff”)

Outside diameter [in]: 3.875

Inside diameter [in]: 0.5 / 0.75 / 0.375 / 0.875 / 0.393

Connection 1: Round / Hex

BaneBots Wheel, 4-7 / 8" x 0.8":

Outside diameter [in]: 4.875

Inside diameter [in]: 0.393 / 0.75 / 0.375 / 0.5

BaneBots Wheel, 1-3 / 8" x 0.4", 1 / 2" Hex Mount:

Outside diameter [in]: 2.375 / 1.625 / 2.875 / 1.375 / 1.875

Inside diameter [in]: 0.5

Connection 1: Hex

BaneBots Wheel, 2-7 / 8" x 0.8", Unfinished Mount:

Outside diameter [in] : 2.875

Inside diameter [in]: 0.75 / 0.375 / 0.5 / 0.393

Lynxmotion Off Road Robot Tire - 4.75"D x 2.375"W (pair)

Lynxmotion Ant / Beetle Robot Tire - 2.125"D x 0.8"W (pair)
8" Molded Plastic Omni-wheel

8" Aluminum Omni Wheel

6" Plaction Wheel

6" Aluminum Omni Wheel

If there is a better kind of wheels than those listed above, can you write its name to me.

Sorry but the last question is the Shorting Blocks, Top Closed the same as mini jumper (10 pack)
 (Product code: RB-Cyt-60)

What are the Shorting Blocks, Top closed? Why are we going to use it?

Is the L293D 2A 5V-12V Secret Motor Driver Kit (Product code: RB-Sbo-25) the same as L293D Motor Driver IC?

Thanks a lot for your great help that you have offered me the last time. Sorry for any disturbance.