How to Make a Drone / UAV - Lesson 5: Assembly

@Meena Almost all flight controllers allow you to change the onboard settings and configuration for your custom platform. If you mean programming a microcontroller from scratch to become a flight controller, it can certainly be done, but it quite a project.

@Vaibhav patil If you want to create a brushless gimbal system, you need to know about microcontrollers, ESCs and sensors. Many production gimbal systems have these (and the code) optimized so the end user does not need to “reinvent the wheel” or start from scratch. You just need one accelerometer and one gyro in a hexacopter in order to know its orientation.

Hi Ben, I star your efforts, Thank God 4 u. but le’me ask; ‘can the conventional motor found in DVD sets power a drone of 4lbs gravity?’

@nonny nonny Not sure if anyone has ever tried that approach. The motor is really small though and not very powerful.

that’s nice, any recommendations from you? I.e tell any machines the powering motor can be found

@nonny nonny We seem to have accidentally removed your previous post (there were many duplicates). In regard to finding the propulsion motors: https://www.robotshop.com/en/uav-motors.html

Hi Mr Ben, if I want to start offering UAV services here in Nigeria am sure people won’t wait to see them but how possible is this idea, is drone for kids & teens? do u cooperate? I saw some other services RobotShop are in for apart from UAVs that is the RTA programme it’s wonderful but I regret how eco-less privileged I am to participate because some of inventions I have can be hardly put up cos they’re high-techs implying that required eco-support, parts and machinings are not or costly available in Nigeria if though.

@nonny nonny It depends on what type of cooperation you would require. Before starting a service or selling products, you might want to do a bit of market research before investing too much.

yes mkt research is a good idea Mr Ben.but factors such as availability of repair service is the most important I can do that but I hope UAVs are really privately/in-house operated and can run errands of about 100KMs with little payload? I can further research daily but I hope you will offer me some ideas from your mkt research. can one bind UAV receiver with laptop?

@nonny nonny Most multirotor UAVs can stay airborne for around 15-25 minutes. They can fly fast, but hundreds of km is a bit outside of what they are currently capable of. You would need to consider a winged drone and there are a lot of regulations to be aware of before you can fly too far. We are not aware of any current products which allow you to use your computer instead of a transmitter, but it seems like a good idea.

alright I know UAVs aren’t able to go far due to ba3 exhaustion. wot about cyclic ba3 process I mean the process whereby the ba3 discharges and is being recharged same time by a dynamo or possibly solar powered. meanwhile winged drone still ba3 powered?

is the motor in electric blenders equivalent to powering any drones? when I went through motors in stock @ RobotShop I discovered they’re all brushless does it mean brushed motors can’t able to power drones?

@nonny nonny You can certainly build a solar-powered airplane, but not much exists on the market - you would likely have to design it yourself.

@nonny nonny The motors in blenders tend to be AC rather than DC. Brushed DC motors are often used on small sized drones.

Ok Ben would you be willing to send samples UAV assembly? it might turnout successful.

@nonny nonny You can find some assembly guides online (ZIP or PDF format) for multirotor aircraft we carry. One example is Lynxmotion UAVs: http://www.lynxmotion.com/driver.aspx?Topic=uav-drone-assembly

I have a little question regarding part:
“1.Remove the red wire from all but one of the ESCs’ 3-pin R/C connector. We suggest removing the pin from the connector in such a way that you can reconnect it at a later time if needed. Wrap the loose pin in electric tape or heat shrink so it does not come into contact with any other electronics. The one with the red wire still connected will be powering your flight controller.”

It is neccessary, or recomended? Do I remove this pin from other ECS’s because it would fry the flight controller, or I remove it because it is simply not needed and it’s a cleaner build?

NAZE32 has full set of pins (gnd, 5v, s) for up to 6 motors, seems only logical that all pins are connected, even if not used?

@k Ideally you don’t want the BED of multiple ESCs all trying to power the flight controller simultaneously. Normally only one BEC is needed to power the flight controller and receiver and some additional low current electronics. Some newer ESCs intended for multirotor aircraft specifically do not include a BEC, so the red wire does not even carry current.

thanks Coleman, for the link I earned lots of knowledge from that. waiting for the day we’ll get into cooperative business, but for now, I’m doing research and planning my first aircraft project

Hi, sir
Just one question that how many BEC required for Quadcopter …??