How Should I Make My Robot Remote Controlled?

Hey all!

So I'm working on a robot that I will enter in to a state wide competetion and it has to be remote controlled. I have no experience with making a remote controlled robot so I was wondering if ayone could suggest a good receiver and sender for a robot with 4 outputs. Also I would like some tips on how to hook it up. Thanks!

--TNT

Xbees
There are some recent forums. I have heard they work very well for inter-MCU communication, over extroardinarily long range.

well how does arduino sound?

well how does arduino sound? because arduino would be pretty easy. Arduino + joystick sheild + rf links = remote :D.
Ok so it is that simple. Basically buttons inputs and analog joystick input. You read the sensors via the arduino and send the signal using the rf link to the receiver rf link on the robot. Say if you send the number “2” which means to drive forward, then your bot reads the incoming serial and if it = 2, then have it go forward. Pretty straight forward, Gareth has a walkthrough on rf links and how to use them and some code. You wouldnt have to use that arduino because you could just use some jumpers for a cheaper arduino. The joystick would give you forward, reverse, left and right movement and some buttons for fun stuff :D.

that is very helpful, thank

that is very helpful, thank you

but one question. since Arduino is somewhat different than PICAXE, would I have to have my receiver hooked up to another Arduino or could it still talk to the PICAXE?

it could talk to the picaxe,
it could talk to the picaxe, but i like arduino :smiley:

ok thanks! i’ll get started
ok thanks! i’ll get started on the radio controler