How do you survive and building bots?

Electronic hobbyist in my

Electronic hobbyist in my (much) younger years.  Computer Draftsman with a Town Planning company.  Some LSP programming experience (I even sell some!)

Model engineer, model flyer, plastic kit builder, raiser of two children and maintainer of wife and home.  Like GroG, sleep is an expensive luxery I can’t afford.  Oh yeah - I also find time to play robots!

Pete

I’m glad that we have a

I’m glad that we have a more strict weapons regulation here in Norway. Here not even the police are armed on a regular basis. They have access to firearms in their police car, but they are locked away and they need authorization to break the seal.

ITT Network Engineer

AKA the “Big Brother” or for my co-workers “the guy who can see and hear it all”
(not true !!! … or is it ??? ) 

I am the network administrator (data and voice) for all the sites (land and sea) for a medium to big company.
Recently married (no regrets for it, YET). 

Also a Radio Amateur (SV9AUL)

Time … who needs sleep ???
Money … who needs it ??? … we have plastic :slight_smile: :) 

73’s to all

Orf.

No guns?

We have a saying here in the states, “When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away”. Pinal county, where I live & work, is over 6,000 square miles with only about 400 deputies in the entire county. When you subtract about 10% for those on vacation or sick leave at any one time, and another 10% for “desk jockeys”, then divide what’s left by 3 shifts per day, you come up with MAYBE 100 deputies actually on the road at any given moment. Try spreading 100 deputies over 6,000 square miles and you quickly see the response times can easily run an hour or more.

Couple that with the fact we are the biggest corridor for drug, human smuggling, stolen vehicles, and illegal immigration in the country, you can easily see the need to arm ourselves.

As I like to remind people, the biggest mass murders in American history didn’t use guns, they used airplanes and fertilizer, both of which are legal.

I am a socially liberal NIMBY

So I can’t live in a border state or extremely liberal area because too much happens in your backyard…

I’m student too, I can’t

I’m student too, I can’t design good hardware part because I made them from crap so I focus on the software/electronical part. And it doesn’t work well ^^. Robotics is (very/too much) expensive.

I’m a lab tech in the R&D

I’m a lab tech in the R&D department of large biotech lab. We focus on automated (robotic!) equipment to do massive amounts of genetic-based tests as fast as possible. The high point of my indentured servitude is that I have access to a wide variety of “electronic waste.” I suppose everything has its moments.

I’m an 'Automation

I’m an ‘Automation Engineer’, recently graduated with a BEng in Mechatronics.
Until recently I worked for a fairly large heavy engineering workshop, doing random design, CAD draughting, calcs, FEA stress simulations, odd IT work, etc.
Now working for a small industrial integration & automation company, doing electrical design and drawings, automation process design, and PLC programming. Also end up helping out with the odd bit of mechanical design, and various paper-work/office stuff I won’t bore you lot with =)

Other than that it’s the usual story - used to have time but no money, now that I’ve finally got the tools/parts/workshop I seem to have no time =(
Have been away from home a lot in the last 6 months, but the project on the cards for the next few months should involve a lot more time spent at our workshop near where I live. Robot arms and cameras! That’s all I can say for now at least =)

Im a student.

Well I 'm student as many members of LMR .

I dont have much time too (because of school,etc)

I dont have enough money to build what I would like to build but Im trying with what I have.

And there is not a robotics workshop near my house or even the whole area .(Thats a problem)