How do you make your own chassic & brackets?

Okay sounds like I’m going to start saving money for the CNC machine. I’ve decided that the 5400 is the correct model for me. Unless I get a student discount for the 2000, which I don’t know if Sherline will do or any other companies will either. Otherwise I might be here a long time trying to save for it and I seriously want to get into machining while Im still young.

What is a “throat” for? I could ask that on the list but it doesnt seem like its a question to bother them with.

So once I buy the upgrade kit, my cnc-ready mill will require no more purchasing of parts for the small applications I’d like to design right? And of course if I want to get into other things I’ll ask the yahoo list.

Maybe later I’ll get into the custom stepper motors and whatnot, because right now I have no clue what to buy as no one around me really knows much about this. So I’d rather buy direct from Sherline and upgrade in the next few years than take a chance on wasting money trying to customize on what I’m a noob at.

Hi,

The “throat” is the depth behind the cutting tool back to the vertical column of the mill.

You’ll need the various cutters and clamps like I’ve mentioned. Take a look at Loki (biped), I think there’s a shot that shows some clamps. you need endmill holders, endmills, chucks, clamps, etc. Take a look at the big Sherline kits with all the 'fixins.

Alan KM6VV

I Recall Hivemind saying he used a scroll saw, this is what i am planning to use. They are not as accurate as a cnc mill but, they are not nearly as expensive. A belt sander would probably help smooth your edges and round parts.

He said it in a thread called “New Dynamixel Bipeds” on page 3
sorry i Cannot post links yet… :frowning:

Raga

Heres my simple take: (I own a Sherline manual mill and lathe)

Try and save up $2200. Then buy sherline’s all in one CNC package, it has everything you need to start milling. The extra $200 you can use to buy little things, like tooling, calipers, ect. You might need to save up $400 for that.

This would be the best for someone just starting out and that doesn’t want metalworking to become a hobby. If you try and do all the upgrades and stuff, it becomes a hobby fast.

How do you like your Sherline Mill and Lathe? Have you made many parts?

I find it quite relaxing (I need that) to make my metal (and other material) parts of the Sherline tools. It’s even better running CNC, which allows me to do a few more clever things.

CNC is certainly not the typical way or necessary for making sheet (metal) parts; but why not?

Alan KM6VV

No one mentioned the Taig mill. I think it is a good option. I have one, decided to get it over the sherline because it looked a bit beefier.

I would also say get the manual mill to start out with but get the largest mill they offer.

The Taig mill could be used as well. It’s heavier, but the Sherline wins hands down in the department of accessories that are interchangeable on the mill and lathe.

It’s whatever you get started with.

Is yours CNC’d?

Alan KM6VV

My taig is CNC’ed. I purchased a manual mill with the CNC conversion parts but only left it manual for a few days while I created my limit switch mounts.

I put mine together for under 2K complete with a 9 collet set, several sized carbide bits, a bunch of work holding clamps, vice, 3x 200oz steppers and a controller board.

I already had an old PC though, I imagine that this is a big chunk of the price of the full CNC kits.

How about one of CNC machines from probotix (put it in google) only costs $900 and are pretty good machines. Got one of the way! :smiley:

Nice,

But that’s a CNC router, not a CNC mill. But very useful to cut out sheet parts.

What are you going to run it with?

Alan KM6VV