How do i program a PICAXE-28X1 microcontroller chip using serial cable

Well am new to making robots.am using a PICAXE-28X1 microcontroller chip with a picaxe 28 starter board.when I connect my board to computer using serial cable it is not responding. Am using a picaxe programming editor for programing.when I connect my board to a 4.8V my pic nd L293D is getting hot. Can anyone please help me with this. I really wanted to make a robot. My pic is pre-programmed with bootstrap loader program…Well am new to making robots.

If your PICAXE is getting hot,

you are connecting something wrong. There was a recent post that was asking about a PICAXE 08m2 getting hot. There were a couple suggestions/questions. Make sure your chip is plugged in in the correct direction and correct socket. And, make sure you don’t have any solder bridges. A digital volt-ohm meter would be useful for finding short circuits.

You should really check for orientation of your chips, and, correct location, and then, see if you have any short circuits.

My pics position is correct.
My pics position is correct. I build it according to fristil’s start here robot…

Should I attach anything to
Should I attach anything to my serial cable??

K. I will post it soon…
K. I will post it soon…

I don’t even have to look…

I would put $100 on the fact that one of your motor connections (A/B) are bridged with solder.

That said, we will not know for sure until we get some pics and more info. 

In terms of your serial cable, you ask, “should I connect anything to my serial cable”…  What do you mean by this exactly? One end can only go one place on your 28x board, and the other end can only go one place on your computer. What else were you planning on connecting to this cable?

Battery Backwards

Check to see that you are not connecting the batteries backwards.  I did this and the LD293 got hot enough to burn the tip of my finger in seconds.

This can be easier to mess up than you might think.  Everyone knows ‘red to red’ and ‘black to black’, but…

I soldered a 9-volt battery clip to the wires of my 4-AA battery pack and then snapped it to the one on the board.

The catch is that to make them mate you turn one of the clips around, which means I got it …EXACTLY… backwards.

Once I realized my mistake, I switched the wires around between my battery back and the 9-volt clip and all was well.

Be sure to check you have positive and negative connected right, if not I promise it will make the LD293D very hot.

(No subject)

Picture_103.jpg

total view

Picture_104.jpg

back view

Picture_107.jpg

Based on your new pictures, and, the shout box discussion

that occurred after you seem to have left, “we” think you may have the battery leads reversed. You could check this easily. First remove your chips from their sockets. Next check the voltage at the input to the board with a voltmeter by putting the red lead on the + input on the board, and, the black lead on the - input on the board. Your voltage should be positive. If it is not, you need to reverse the polarity at your battery.

Bingo --The double 9v strap gets another one

I could not help but notice you are using (2) 9v battery snaps plugged into each other. By doing so you have reversed your polarity (as described by King and Bird above).

Now, all you gotta do is fix this, then think very very happy thoughts that you did not fry your chip already.

:slight_smile:
at last i programmed it… :slight_smile: