How Do I Interpret DC Motor Specifications?

@Lakmal You would need a different method (alternative energy), for example a solar panel, hydro generator etc. Alternatively, you can even generate a potential difference using potatoes or lemons.

does 9v dc motor enough to left 1kg 0.4m

@Omar That will depend on the gear ratio and motor characteristics.

Correction: 1kg * 1m/(s^2) = 1N (the acceleration is 1, not 9.81)

@Duane Evenson Converting Kilograms to Newtons?

I am looking to make a robot that will ride on two treads that will carry about 150 lbs maximum. I am looking to see what would be the lowest specs/cheapest motors that I could purchase to accomplish this.

Let’s assume that I have a motor which possess stall torque 76.13oz-in (5482g-cm). If the load possesses the mass of 800 g (let’s say the wheel attached/connected to the shaft of the motor), then there must not be problem (unless the current is very low). Is my assumption correct?

@Matt We suggest the following tool: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tool-9698

@Jeff Yoo Not quite - the torque which the motor needs to provide is indirectly related to the mass of the robot: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tutorial-3661

I want to know the actual torque of 300rpm motor

@Sukanya The RPM has no relation to the torque.

Hello all,

I am using a BLDC motor and I am using SMPS output of 24V power supply which is given to my controller baord and it converts it into 5V. My motor is running perfectly with rpm of 320 but the prblem is that the current is 1.5 amp. But I need current as 1 amp for my this project. How to do it? Awaiting for your reply.

@Ram If a motor requires a certain current, it is quite hard to limit that.

I’m planning on using 3 batteries in a series as a power supply. They are rated each rated @ (8v 20ah cap 165 min@56amps 121). The DC motor I’m planning to use is a p.m.d.c (24v DC 30a output 500w class a ao) my concern is the the amps when a heavy load is used. My question is there any electrical componets I can add to my circuit other then a breaker and a switch.

@jesse A fuse (which you may mean when you say breaker) is the best option.

Kindly help our product. Actually we need a hub motor for Running a robot wheel. Hub motor required if 10 ​inch diameter.Torque 15​ ​Nm each. Power 24V/48V, On load torque around 200 kg cm​. We need to add gears… Possibly planetary gears to reduce speed to desired range. With these specs the RPM will be high, but when we add gears it will be reduced. This is the accurate specifications. I would like to know the availability of the hub motor ? It it will give best solution or not ? what about your suggestions ?

@Jerwin Prabu A Unfortunately we do not offer any hub motors at this time. We will take your request into consideration when looking for new products / suppliers to enter.

how to calculate load details of a particular motor? For example I have a motor 12V DC wiper motor, may be 32 RPM.

Hi! Can You explain the meaning of “Maximum stall current: 20A @ 12VDC” here https://www.robotshop.com/en/12v-165rpm-6805oz-in-precision-planetary-gearmotor.html . Do i need power supply with 20A output to receive torque 680.5 oz-in? Or i can use standart power supply with 12V and 2A to get this torque? Thanks!

@Vlad The stall current it the current required to achieve stall Torque. If you wish to drive the motor to its stall torque value, you will need 20 amps. Be careful though as the motor will burn pretty rapidly at those values. Stall torque is an absolute limit and motors should never be operated at those values. For example, if you need 680 Oz-in of torque in your application, you should search for a motor with a rated load of 680 Oz-in, not a stall torque of 680 Oz-in.