How Do I Interpret DC Motor Specifications?

@Jemes Two tons is essentially the weight of a normal car - you need a powerful winch system for that with very heavy duty gears. The speed will be very slow and the current will likely be very high. For more help, please create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum, but based on the question, the application does not sound very robotic.

i have a 6 6v dc motor, what battery should i use?

looking for a 12 v dc motor to raise my milling machine head which is rack and pinion geared and raised by a hand crank. I would like to couple the shaft with a motor . What should I look for ?? . The milling head weighs 220 lbs,

@Mave The choice of battery depends on the application, as well as the motor, and how long you want the robot to last between charges. Check the maximum continuous current per motor (amps) and then multiply by six to get the discharge current for the battery pack. The capacity relates to how long the robot will last between charges.

@CONRAD That’s a very specific application and it sounds like you need an industrial electric winch motor. We do not have anything specific for that application - you’d need to tell us the torque and RPM needed (might try through experimentation).

if 30A is rated value of current give on data plate of DC motor. What does it specify line current or armature current

im trying to look for a motor for my project where i will be designing a aid device to hoist patients from their bed, motor should be able to lift 100 kg, expect the radius of the spindle for winding to be around 3 cm, does that mean that the motor specification i need to look for must be at least able to have a torque of 300 Nm ? the rpm of the motor should be low, choosing a stepper motor with the rating. Am i on the right track ? or are there other option that are cheaper or more efficient ?

@Mike You would need 300Kg-cm, or 30Nm. Since the weight can have a bit of downward acceleration, you should plan for 40Nm. If the overall travel distance is low, you might just want to use a linear actuator: https://www.robotshop.com/en/actuators.html

Hello,
I have the following motor specifications:
Resistance = 0.016ohm
Max Current = 50A
Max Voltage = 15V
Power = 820W
Kv = 1050 RPM/V
Kt = 0.009095
Using these I need to determine the operating current in order to get the torque of the motor.
Is there an analytical method or do I have to resort to experimental methods.

Thank you

@ALI SAIF UDDIN You have the torque constant Kt which should be in torque (Nm, oz-in etc) over current. This will give you a good idea of the current at a certain torque.

hi sir. i have a motor with 3200rpm at no load. if the load is 20kg, what should be the new rpm? thank you

@jay You would need a graph provided by the manufacturer of torque versus RPM. Normally the manufacturer needs to test this and creates a grapho

sir, my project is automatic wheelchair, so please suggest me the motors which can push 120kgs of weight.

@raj This should help: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tool-9698

I am making a car for a project its weight is 17 kg. I am using gear motors in rear wheels of it. Can you please let me know that what torque should my gear motors have? rpm can be low.
Thankyou

Sir , my project is electric lawn mower . 3 motors are used in project .1 motor for cutting grass by blades are couple withshaft of that motor .2 motors are used for lawn mover body moving purpose .which type motors are used

@Muhammad Ali Javaid The following free tool should help you get started: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tool-9698

@Manikanta You can use the following free tool to get an idea of the specs of the drive motors: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tool-9698
Regarding the cutting tool, you should read the specs for the blade, where the optimal RPM should be noted (and ideally the torque).

I think your footnote on torque is wrong , 1 kg is roughly 10N of force and not 1N

@rashid You are entirely correct. Likely a typo at the time. We have updated it and appreciate that you took the time to tell us.