Hovercraft Robot

Hi,
Im creating a ‘hovercraft robot’ for my university project, and I am not really sure what the best components are for this task. It needs to be able to lift a 50g weight (plus obviously the weight of the battery and other parts), which is pretty much the only requirement. Can anybody help recommend a motor to serve as the lift fan with its accompanying microcontroller and a thrust fan again with a suitable microcontroller? Thanks in advance

Hi @ph1996 and welcome to the forum
I once built a small RC- hovercraft from rewound CD-Rom drive motors (before the brushless motors were commonly available). The lift and propulsion was excellent, but it was uncontrollable, like a helikopter without tailboom.

If I’d built such thing again, I’d look for a microdrone controller with onboard motion sensor and dc-motordrivers. The hard part is to rewrite the software to make good use of the motion sensor.
Maybe there is a microdrone controller ready to run multiWii OpenSource software and with a little luck, someone has already rewritten it for a helikopter.

1 Like

thanks for responding. While I most probably could put the parts of that drone to use I have to entirely design it myself, meaning I have to select individual components that would work with my design. My idea is to have a completely circular hovercraft with one lift fan (motor) and 4 thrust fans on top facing different directions for omni-directional movement. So I would need 2 different types of motor with suitable controllers etc.