Hooking up a Schmitt trigger (74HC14)

I need to hook up a 74HC14 to clean the signal from a QRB1134 IR sensor. I think I know how but I need to make sure. Could it really be this simple:

*Connect pin 14 to 5V (from Arduino)

*Connect pin 7 to ground

*Connect pin 1 to the signal output of the QRB1134

*Connect pin 2 to the Arduino analog in

*Place a .1uF cap between the 5V and the ground wire

Here is the datasheet and an example I used:

www.robotokulu.com/ROBOTOKULU_dosyalar/74HC14.pdf

www.lynxmotion.com/images/data/tra01v7.pdf

Nevermind fellows
I took the risk and hooked it up as I described above and it seemed to be the right way. Though I’m not getting exacly what I had hoped for it definately did work.

Yes, it is that

Yes, it is that simple.

However, might I suggest you:
• Connect all unused inputs to ground or V+ to prevent troublesome inverter oscillation.
• Use a digital input instead of analog, since you usually have more digitals free, and you don’t need analog since the inverter only outputs digital signals.

ok…thanks

So it isn’t actually that simple…meaning I need to connect ALL unused inputs to ground. I guess I should have gotten the little brother you mentioned since I don’t really need 6 inputs and outputs. Anyway this may be the reason I’m getting multiple high/low clicks sometimes during a transition?!

And it is my plan to use a digital input off course since eventually I wanna use interrupts to detect the transitions…if possibl…

Oh yeah, actually now that
Oh yeah, actually now that you mention it the oscillating unused inverters are quite likely to be the source of the problem.