Help with Yourduino Serial LCD

Serial_LCD.jpg

Hi folks,

Just received my Yourduino order and a little confused.  This is the Yourduino Serial LCD but does not match the info and photos on the Yourduino site.  I need help in getting this to work.  I have tried googling the flamingoEDA name and havn't found any matches in English sites.  It looks awfully like I2C to me whereas I want to use this as +5V, 0V and signal only.  After checking with a magnifying glass the socket to the right of the photo is labelled (top down)   -, +, R, T so I am assuming that I only need to wire the top three contacts?  Would love to know the required setting of the DIP switches (baud rate?) and use of the left hand connectors.

Any enlightenment woul be much appreciated.

TIA  PeteH

Thanks Chuck,I had already

Thanks Chuck,

I had already looked at that one.  It is a different board.  My concern is with the DIP switches - are these for I2C address or serial baud rate or both or none of the above?  Not knowing the defaults is the problem.

Pete

first
You mentioned the connector. It is a standard serial LCD. I would lay good odds that you will have to make all four connections. Power, ground, transmit, and receive.
I can offer no help for the dip switches.

Google is your friend

Strange you say google did not help. When I googled there were heaps of links associated with flamingo eda. Anyhow this arduino forum post should help.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1268556997 There is some code to try there. Leave the dip switches as they were when you received it. And everything may be ok. I mean at default settings I would imagine.

Sorry Chuck

Ah yes my bad. You would think Terry would have some info for this. Have you emailed Yourduino Pete?

Ummm… Did you all miss this or am I missing something?

I just went to Yourduino and found your LCD. Did you not notice the link to the wiki on this particular product? I just read through the comments and no one has mentioned it nor do I see it in your original post. I notice that the part shown on YourDuino is not exactly like the one shown in this post but I can’t help but think the wiki might help.

It is right here:  http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/LCD-Serial

Well caught !

Well spotted Chuck.  It IS my photo!  When I said they were showing the same board it seems it was literally.  Terry has got back to me by email requesting another view as well!  However still no feed back re the DIP switches.  I have included Terry’s email below which does at least state 3 wire (but not what baud rate!)

Please note that I am happy with at least getting feedback, going by others problems with different vendors but I am not a rank beginner and am still confused so how would a beginner feel.  However I am hopefully nearing a solution.  Will have a play tonight when I log off.

Hi Pete,

Sorry about the confusion here. THANKS for the great photo which relieves
me a little as it IS the right part, and a Serial LCD. At least we didn’t
mess up shipping…

I updated the Wiki page for this here:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/LCD-Serial
to show the pinout of the connector on the back.

So you should be able to connect:
** Top - Ground
** Next - Vcc 5V
** Next - To Arduino Tx Data (Pin 1, not 0) for the example sketch shown
on the Wiki.
** Bottom- Not used, but can receive data from the display under unknown
(to me) circumstances…

Unless you have a sensor shield or breadboard etc, you would have to wire
this with male-male breadboard jumpers or wire.

Let me know what you see!

Oh: Can you take one more closeup photo like that, angled to show the “B”
and “C” above the blue pots?? Thanks! I’m not sure I have the serial
version here in Italy…

Regards, Terry King
…On the Mediterranean in Italy

Further Update

SAM_0502.jpg

Well as can be seen it is working.  Default baud = 9600  - set in the example sketch - as CTC would say read the F.. Manual.  Just would love to know what the dip switches are for - pretty sure it must be for baud rate now but not game to fiddle!

I WISH! That white stuff

I WISH!   That white stuff on the beach IS snow…  :slight_smile:

… 3 days ago…