Help with steering on rc car project

Hi!

I’ve taken on the project of getting an rc car from the thrift store and replacing the motherboard with an Arduino, a dual channel h bridge, and a hobby transmitter and receiver but the steering is controlled with a dc motor with gears. There isn’t even a potentiometer. I don’t understand how they made this work originally. How should I go about programming I want the wheels to center when the stick does. I have another car I’m doing the same thing to but it has a potentiometer hooked up to the axel of a gear. How would I go about programming that? I tried before with a bunch of if statements and like targetValue and currentValue and tried to make them be the same and no matter what I did it was too sensitive and kept wobbling back and forth. I’m sure there’s a better way I just haven’t been able to focus much more on this and I’d like some help.

Thank you for helping if you decide to. I really appreciate the sharing of knowledge and it’ll help me learn.

Hey @ManySilences

That’s a nice project to tackle and very fun indeed.
Can you send pictures of your setups? This will help figuring out what you are working with and give you some hints on how to do this.