Help with Parts list on a dfrobot turtle

Hi everyone,

I am helping my son with a project for his school science fair, and we are looking to do something like this - youtube.com/watch?v=SFfYNPrc6c4 . We actually figured out what we wanted and in looking around to figure out what types of things are available to mate to the arduino I came across that video which is actually pretty close to what we are trying to do for this project.

It is actually very close to how we wanted to build our maze solving robot. We had in mind a base like the turtle 2wd to get us going, a pair of IR sensors that can tilt up and down as well as pan side to side to make it kind of person like.

What I am trying to do is figure out what parts are needed, I have this so far:
the turtle robot base - robotshop.com/en/dfrobot-2wd-mobile-platform-arduino.html
tilt-pan part - robotshop.com/en/df15rmg-tilt-kit.html or robotshop.com/en/df05bb-tilt-pan-kit.html ?

I do have the official starter kit from arduino. I’m not looking as much for someone to give me a blueprint on what’s needed as much as maybe just some direction so I don’t order the base and ir and one of the tilt/pan setups and realize within a day that there are a bunch of other things necessary to even get going. Could be I need a generic bolt/nut kit, maybe a bunch of extra wires to use, etc.

I appreciate any direction anyone anyone has on this.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

RB-Dfr-378 would be the pan/tilt kit you need. In order to drive the motors, you would also need a DC dual motor controller, as well as a battery pack (or use the AA pack provided with the base). Other than that, you would need some wires (as always), and likely a separate battery pack for the microcontroller (unless you want to use a voltage regulator). If you provide us with a list of the products you are considering, we can review them.

So is there a data sheet for SKU: RB-Dfr-378.
If I want to use a push button with simple DC battery can we make SKU: RB-Dfr-378 rotate 360 degrees in both axis ?

@nxa786 Welcome to the RobotShop community.

Regarding: https://ca.robotshop.com/products/df05bb-tilt-pan-kit

Each servo can only rotate 0 to 120 degrees, so physically it is blocked from rotating 0 to 360 degrees. Most RC servo motors can only rotate 0 to 180 degrees. Not sure how to get 360 degrees from the tilt servo since it will be physically blocked at the bottom. An RC winch servo can often do multiple rotations, for example:

This servo can rotate 3.5 turns , but doesn’t fit the pan/tilt above.

Regarding the second part of the question - controlling it with a push button - an RC servo motor takes a PWM signal, whereas a push button is a simple ON or OFF. You’d need intermediate electronics

One possible option for 0 to 180 degree motion using a button:

If you can tell us more about the application we might be able to help more.

1 Like