Help with LiDAR Sensor Selection

I’m working on a project to read a scale topobathy model and record changes in sediment and landscape patterns in real time. I have a wave table about 5 ft by 12 ft that will have artificial sediment in it, and we will be running water (no more than a couple inches at a time) over the surface to change the sedimentation pattern.

We’re looking to use a stationary sensor to read changes in that single surface; that information should be output in a point cloud and with a photo or RGB information to read changes in the color of the surface over the course of time.

What I think that I need is a LiDAR sensor and an RGB sensor, but it would be great if there were a combined solution or if there were parts that are known to work well together. It would also be great if we could read it with the water running but not a dealbreaker.

What are some of the best solutions that other folks have found in creating our own small set-up or off-the-shelf potential solutions or other maybe more “plug-and-play” options folks may have found?

Thank you!

Learning more, I’m wondering about structured light or other non-liDar solutions, since they might not give the resolution/accuracy that I’m looking for. Updated diagram for anyone interested.

@AONeill0 Welcome to the RobotShop Community. It seems like what you describe is almost exactly the following (available from a few companies). Are you aware of this?

Ex: This Augmented-Reality Sandbox Turns Dirt Into a UI | WIRED

1 Like

I’ve been looking at a set-up very similar to this called Sandworm. Both Sandworm and SARndbox use Kinect sensors, but I have a larger sensor bed in this instance than either set-up and was hoping to find a sensor that would offer a higher resolution. I do have a smaller system that I’ve already mostly set up a Sandworm instance on a smaller working table.

Intel’s Realsense solution offered better resolution (and still available even though last we heard that division was shutting down).

1 Like