Help me build a custom BRAT

hey there guys,

I’m Vyshak, i’m new to this robotics world. i have a competition coming up, in which we need to build a robot that has to do the basic move, i.e forward, backward, left anf right, also it has to clear the obstacle like a step, that comes consectively every 110 cm, and the height of the step is around 6-10cm.

i was looking through this Lynxmotion Biped BRAT Combo Kit, but when i asked the support center of robot shop, they said its only approx 15cm in height, and cannot serve our purpose, and ask us to use a servo bracket, and to use a powerful servo, also to increase the degrees of freedom.

can anyone of u please help me or guide me constructing the robot that can solve my problem.

its really urgent…thnx,

regards,
Vyshak.

You could possibly make one of these…

Using these larger HS-755MG servo brackets…

You would need to make the feet yourself. Perhaps with 1/4" foam PVC panels. But everything else is off the shelf. :slight_smile:

hey thanx a lot,

but if we change the servo brackets, will it affect the stability?

do we need to change the servo’s?

and do we need to add another degree of freedom to the feet? and if so how to add it?

once again thnx for helping me out.

regards,
Vyshak.

The brackets are much larger so the robot would be larger as well. I doubt it would effect the stability much as you are just scaling it up. I would recommend you use the HS-5745MG servos though. You can add DOF’s as you want. Please look at some of the Biped tutorials for more ideas.

Aw Jim you know you want to build one of these up and take pictures… you could even call it the MegaBRAT :exclamation:

:laughing:

thx a lot guys…

hey guys…i need to buy the brat with the modification u guys said…but can i get the servos that is the HS-5745MG instead of the existing 6 servo’s???

and also can i get the 2 brackets with the package…

actually can i get all components that is required for my project…excluding the unnecessary parts, like the servos, and get the mod kits - upgraded kits with the new servos instead of the old???

please help me…

regards,
Vyshak.

First off the BRAT kit uses standard size servos. There is no upgrade for the BRAT to use larger servos. We have designed a set of brackets for the HS-755 and HS-5745 servos. These are larger 1/4 scale servos. The set of brackets include the ASB-201 which is the larger version of the ASB-04. The ASB-202 which is the larger version of the ASB-09, and finally the ASB-203 which is the larger version of the ASB-10. If you look at the assembly guide for the BRAT…
lynxmotion.com/images/html/build104.htm
You will see how it’s put together. If you swap the larger brackets for the standard size ones it should be easy to see what you need to build your larger biped. I recommend you make your own foot and possibly a custom torso. But it’s a huge time savings to use the SES parts.

To make it move you just install the same electronics as the BRAT kit. Use the same software, and the same tutorials…

Easy right? :smiley:

hey guys,

do i need to change all the 6 servo’s???

m ready to buy all the necessary upgrades…including the servo’s…

n yes we r interested in getting Brat with the modifaction brackets…how to go about it???

can u gimme a link in which i just have to enter my credit card number…i mean chk out…

cause i have no clue how to search for these modifications…

thnx a lot again for the help…

regards,
Vyshak.

I have attempted to provide you with the required information so you could in fact locate the required components. It’s not available with a simple click of a mouse.

Dear sir,

I’m Vyshak…we are working on making a custom brat. the main aim of our project is to make a robot, without using ready made components. since we are beginners,we hav bought a biped brat combo kit serial port brushed.

Since we cant use ready made parts, we haveto make the circuits by ourself. if you would be kind enough to help u, woud u plz give the wiring diagram of the circuit. so that we could understand those ciruits and do some modfications to the brat we brought frm u.

please do help us. Looking for a positive reply. Thanx a lot…

Vyshak, guessing your group is students but what discipline are you studying? electrical, mechanical, computer science? Knowing this may help people understand what level of information they can expect you to grasp. for example do you understand the electronic signals required to control the servos used on your BRAT to be a nominal 1.5msec pulse ranging from 0.5msec to 2.5msec in a 20msec frame, or your understanding is you just plug a servo into something and send a command through the computer to position the servo at 0 degrees? do you understand the difference in those concepts? Also as you imply you are not able to use the ssc-32 or basic atom electronics, what then microcontrollers are you familliar with using?

There needs to be more research in this project to gain the knowledge you need to move forward in order to gain maximum benefit from this project. Already you have been given enough information to build the chassis at least.

You need to specify what needs to be made by you and what can be purchased. Below is a simple type of DIY servo control setup.

geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo.htm