Help matching Lynxmotion parts for robot arms

Hey there! Quick question - Does anyone know if the Lynxmotion micro servo multi-purpose bracket (RB-Lyn-282) fits the standard passive hinge ( RB-Lyn-104)? I want to add smaller arms to my robot but the general concept behind the Johhny 5 robot arms, with a few tweaks, definitely suits my needs.

Thanks for your time and I hope you’re all well!

Hi @rhysdg and welcome to the forum.

I’ve check their 3D models which you can find here http://www.lynxmotion.com/s-5-ses-3d-models.aspx and I’ve put them in FreeCad (https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php) and yes, holes are matching so you can connect them. Here are some screenshots:

1 Like

@rhysdg @igor_X might be right - I had a different assembly in mind. Do you plan to keep the passive servo hinge on the Johnny robot in its current location and add the multi-purpose micro servo brackets to each side? Keep in mind that the compatible Hitec servos are not very powerful, so there’s no guarantee that even if an arm can be created using micro servos and brackets that it will be able to lift itself up against gravity. Can you draw your proposed design? You can get the 3D CAD files for each part here: http://www.lynxmotion.com/s-5-ses-3d-models.aspx

2 Likes

@igor_X Aha! They do fiit! Although I’m planning to use them in a diferrent orientation. Thanks so much!

1 Like

@cbenson Yeah that’s it. I wanted to add the passive hinge to the 3" channel and have the servo brackets to each side. Once I have the shoulders and torso so to speak. From there I was planning to build out, andadd a little more length than the johhny 5 idea with aluminium tube. I’m still undecided on a gripper.

Either way the purpose is mainly for gesture as I’m more concerned with animation and his reaction to object detection/ distance measurements/ Here’s a little video of him sneezing. I’ve now added a tf mini plus instead of the urs though, plus a Raspberry Pi4 dedicated to object detection (with a Movidius), and distance measurement, sending info via sockets/ethernet.

Given no heavy lifting would you say those Hitec HS-85BB would still struggle? Otherwise I’ll just go for a larger servo and add my own design twist. At least then I’d no for certain.

Either way thank you guys for your help and I’ll play around with the CAD files when I get back from my work trip!

2 Likes

Hey @rhysdg your robot looks awesome :smiley:

We would like to see it in our Robots section!

Ah thanks @igor_X! I also definitely plan to. Once I I’ve locked down this version I’ll start working on documentation. Up to this point I’ve been feverishly pushing ahead. I literally started prototyping it as I began learning Python two years ago. Since then I landed a job as a Python for data science/iot teaching assistant, and I’m in talks with a couple of workshops about automating a bit of technical theatre/ TV magic! We’ve come a long way together, in fact we’ve grown together!

Very cool bot!

1 Like

Cheers @bmoscato!

1 Like