H.E.A.N.D.

***Update 04/08/2012***

Some more programming done, see video HEAND_2: Random movements of the hand, touch sensor (integrated in its head), changing eye color when touched.

***Update 02/08/2012***

Testing the IR compound eye and the RGB LED eyes, see video HEAND_1. Next step is to program the touch sensor and multi color pattern for the LED eyes.

I am working since two months on this table top robot. It displays a 2 DOF head with 2 full color RGB LED eyes and a 8 DOF robot hand (6 DOF hand and 2 DOF wrist), hence the fancy name H.E.A.N.D. As it is a table top robot, I have no issues with batteries - I simply use a regulated S-100-5 5 V/20 A power supply, which costs 52 RMB (~8.2 USD) on Chinese ebay called taobao. The robot is equipped with following sensors:

H.E.A.N.D.'s tasks are so far:

• Object tracking (hardware built, coding done)
  • Reacting on touch by changing eye color (RGB LED eyes as described here)
  • Speech (using a SOMO-14D if I get it working on a Windows 7, 64 bit. Can't even access the website with most VPN connections from China or download any software!!!)
  • Color sensing and speech output
  • Gas sensing and speech output
  • Building a personality according to its experiences and pre-set thresholds
  • Hand gestures
  • Playing Rock-paper-scissors (recognition by color cards?)

Here are some images of the built...

Fig. 1 Hand back view

Fig. 2 Side view of the hand

Fig. 3 Front view of the hand

Fig. 4 Details of the hand. The fingers are made from Ø 10 x 2 mm silicone hose, plastic stand-offs, 1.5 mm aluminium sheet, Ø 0.5 mm fishing line, pushed and pulled by luster terminal inserts, mounted on the servo horns. The servos are digital ones with metal gear, turning 360 °, approx double price of standard 9g micro servos and a few milimeters smaller (normally used for helicopters)

Fig. 5 Construction of the head

Fig. 6 Full color RGB LED eyes construction

Fig. 7 Mechanical setup nearly finished

Fig. 8 Three mini ball castors supporting the turn able wrist

Fig. 9 Aye-Aye Sir! Your wish is my command!

Reacts on sensory input, speaks, shows hand gestures

• Actuators / output devices: loudspeaker, 2 DOF head, 8 DOF hand, RGB LED eyes
  • Control method: autonomous
  • CPU: 4 Picaxe 28X2 modules
  • Operating system: Windows 7, 64 bit
  • Power source: 10 A, 5 V power supply
  • Programming language: Picaxe basic
  • Sensors / input devices: gas sensor, Color Sensor, sound sensor, IR Compound Eye, temperature sensor, Touch sensor
  • Target environment: indoors, table top

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/h-e-a-n-d

Wow, you are quite

Wow, you are quite productive these days :wink:

Is the head also DIY or what did you use for that?

Sure DIY. I made it from a

Sure DIY. I made it from a 50 mm dia. waste water PVC pipe and some ABS sheet.

Very nice workmanship :smiley:

Very nice workmanship :smiley:  I’m really looking forward to seeing him in action!

I need some 360 deg servos…

Thumbs up that you already

Thumbs up that you already show us a video :wink:

awesome!

this is very awesome!!! i really like it! another awesome job Markus!

Thank you all for the nice

Thank you all for the nice comments. More will follow soon…

WoW !

Amazing bot :D 

coming along nicely

Looks to be one of the more charming deskbots yet. I can’t wait to see, er, hear it with audio. Are you having problems acquiring the software for it? I have all the software for the SOMO-14D here on LMR if that’s helps you at all. If not I can try emailing the software to you if you think that might work.

Thanks, JAX. I saw that and

Thanks, JAX. I saw that and downloaded the converter. It seems I have a problem with formating the SD card (mine is 8 GB). I can only format it to FAT 32, but it seems the SOMO-14D only supports FAT 16 (max. 2 GB). I have ordered a 2 GB micro SD card today, will see if it works then.