GPS Problems with Quadrino/MultiWii

I have an Hquad500 with a Quadrino nano. I am having troubles with the GPS! during the set up I have selected the internal gps and have an antenna attached to the board. My understanding of getting the internal GPS to function is to just set it in the setup of the drone software, flash the firmware and basically it should be gtg. I am using Multiwii to basically see if my drone has acquired satellite signal, but with no success. Every other sensor(accel, compass, barometer) is reporting to Multiwii. I have also tried attaching a Adafruit ultimate GPS to the serial1 port, but I am unsure how to get the data from that to interface with MultiWii ( I was working under the assumption that the internal GPS might be faulty).

Does anyone have an tips ? any internal GPS troubleshooting?

I am trying to get GPS data to plan missions and record GPS tags to reference data points at each designated point.

Hi Dirigidle,

It’s not suggested to connect a GPS on the serial port of the Quadrino Nano unless you really know what you are doing.
The current required to power such module might damage the Quadrino Nano.

Have you tried to go outside and acquire the GPS signal ?
In my location i had to put the antenna right next to a window and it took 3-4 minutes the first time to acquire location.

When enough satellites are acquired by the GPS chip, the blue led right next to the antenna connector will start slow blinking.
This has nothing to do with the code loaded in the board but directly connected to the GPS chip itself.

All the best,

yes, we have tried going outside to aquire a signal. I can retry that to see and possibly stay outside for longer. could there be a wiring issue that would affect the GPS? The drone was given to our group as part of an engineering senior design project.

We are able to fly the drone with no problems and all other sensors are working, but need GPS data for georeferencing data.

As i suggested, concentrate on the blue LED next to the antenna port.
This will tell you if the GPS is working, then maybe we can troubleshoot the MultiWii code that read it.

No direct relation with the wiring.

1 Like

Thanks @dialfonzo I’ll give it a try! I appreciate the support.

update: We tried testing it outside and and within about 30 seconds the blue light next to the GPS antenna started to blink. I I connected to the flight controller via USB and used MultiWii WinGUI version 2.4 to read the drone. The software still showed no connection to any satellites, but it still showed that I was getting one on the drone. Also as a side note when my computer was connected the blue indicator light next to the GPS would intermittently blink and not continuously like it was prior to the USB connection. I’m assuming this means there is some software problem, but am not quite sure how to resolve this?

@dialfonzo any suggestions at this point ?

Thanks !

Ok - You probably have a working GPS unit but do have some issues with the “code” in the Quadrino Nano.

Send me the FCT profile so i can have a look at it. (bellow image for info)

So here is a text file of the profile, it wouldn’t let me upload the profile since it was a file type that wasn’t accepted(xml document).

ProfileText.txt (1.1 KB)

Is this acceptable?

The portion here tell me that you selected “QuadrinoGPS” instead of “QuadrinoNanoWithGPS” so you can correct that and re-flash your device.
option name=“GPSPresent” type=“GPSPresence”>QuadrinoGPS</option

Ok, so here is the new profile I used when trying out the “QuadrinoNanoWithGPS”

profile_new.txt (1.1 KB)

I tested out this function and while outside I verified that the GPS was recieving a signal(blinking blue light on board) and had my laptop plugged in to see if it would report to WinGUI. This is the screen that I get,

GPS_Prob

It says that the navigation system is working and is functioning. I also tried turning on GPS waypoints to see if that would change anything, but I only got a message that said “GPS fix lost”. I also tried changing the baud rate to see to 57600, but still got the same results.

All these changes were done while the GPS status light was blinking like it had a satellite fix.

Please - Create a new profile and only set the “QuadrinoNanoWithGPS” in the FCT page.
It looks like you have some baudrate selected that are not default, it’s easier to start fresh and select the right “GPS” only.

Hi dialfonzo. I am working with Dirigidle on this project. Thanks for helping us.

I created a new profile in FCT. The only thing I changed was the GPS to QuadrinoNanoWithGPS. Here are the contents of the related profile.xml file:

<profile Name="DesignProject1"> '<!--This file keeps track of options you have modified for this profile so that when you\n switch MultiWii versions any descrepancies in config.h files do not result in lost values.--> <MultiWiiVersion DisplayName="MultiWii 2.4" ReleaseDate="2015-03-29T05:31:28.063935Z">MultiWii_2_4</MultiWiiVersion> <TimeStamp>2020-01-22T18:27:15.5934253Z</TimeStamp> <options> <option name="GPS_SERIAL_ENABLED" type="Boolean">True</option> <option name="VENUS" type="Boolean">True</option> <option name="GPSPresent" type="GPSPresence">QuadrinoNanoWithGPS</option> <option name="NAV_TAIL_FIRST" type="Boolean">True</option> <option name="GyroFilter" type="String">98HZ</option> <option name="ChannelOrder" type="String">PITCH,YAW,THROTTLE,ROLL,AUX1,AUX2,AUX3,AUX4</option> </options> </profile>

We uploaded this to the Quadrino Nano and tested it. The GPS Lock LED began blinking slowly (indicating that the GPS had a lock on at least 5 satellites) but the location displayed in the Mission tab in WinGUI did not update. It is also worth noting that the Stable LED is never on nor blinks. Is there something else we can try?

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.

It’s easier with a full profile like a “zip” of the folder but i manage to build it using the text you provided.
Loading this profile get the Stable blue LED blinking right away.

It’s possible that something is broken now after trying an external GPS.
I’m going to push that for a RMA.

Note that we only replace the PCB inside the plastic case in those occasions.