GPS and the SSC32

Heyy Guys i got one of those GPS modules offf ebay and would like to lnow if i can hook it up to my ssc32 , ive got a BS2 but would like to save the pins, or if i get roborelm working i might omit it from my bot alltogether ,here,s the GPS Link

I’m a little bit confused.
What do you expect it to do once this is achieved?

Your GPS unit produces a stream of serial data relating to its physical position. The SSC-32 receives servo position commands, and moves them accordingly. Are you just trying to use the same serial line for both incoming and outgoing serial communications, or by “hooking it up”, are you expecting some direct control of the servos to happen?

For the most part, they are peripherals with non-related functions.

and so he needs to stick something in the middle to parse the serial data and decide what to do with it, then build commands to the ssc-32. one of the things I see that will require being ‘dealt’ with is there doesn’t seem to be any sort of handshake to tell the gps module to shut up. this will make it difficult to interface with anything other than a hardware serial port that has buffering. Is hardware serial a feature on the BS2? the other consideration is the gps module output is rs-232 so you will probably need to put a translator circuit somewhere in your assembly as well.

He needs to write a program that will use the information from the GPS and then send servo commands to the SSC-32. The SSC-32 simply executes commands that it recieves. The gps will not send the proper data the ssc-32 needs if that’s what you were thinking.

…and of course, all of this can be argued ad infinitum to no avail, unless we know what sort of application it is to be used for.

The servo moves for a GPS-guided rover will be completely different than those for a GPS-guided airplane, or a GPS-guided heli, or a GPS-guided rowboat.

Yes, a micro (such as the BS2 mentioned in the original post) needs to go between the GPSr and the SSC-32, but just what it does with the data, and how it translates it into servo moves requires far more information than was given.

sorry for the delay in my reply i just got my XP comp back up and running but was having trouble with my modem,Ok i was trying to use the SSC32 with roborelm and the Gps to send info thru the IOGEAR BT back to my comp i was thinking that i could power the gps with from the ssc but it looks like im gonna need the BS2 any way for other sensors ,
I had,nt though about the gps being talkitive i think that kills that idea so
"i rekon i shall ponder dis for awhile " thanks for all the input