Getting into Arduino

Well my friends, I think its time for me to enter the world of arduino.  After working on my last project (I will post it soon, its for the google science fair so I just have to finish up it's website.) I have deciced ill have a go at arduino.  The reason I came to this conclusion is I needed something that can do simple multi-tasking.  During my google science fair project (That I will post soon to LMR) I needed to do two things at once.  The first was very simple.  I just wanted it to go down and come back a little to the side of the first path down and keep doing that until it had covered a certain area.  So that was simple, but the problem came when I wanted to do that while taking measurements from a sensor and light upng to pause, but I did not think I could do that with the picaxe.  So my next project is going to be more complex, so I was planning on using multiple picaxes but instead thought "Why don't I try an arduino?"  So thats were I am now.  I am planning on getting the Sparkfun Inventors kit

(http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10173) to play with/learn with and I am going to start simple.  I also think learning this would be good for me later.  So I ask you for any advise or things that have helped you with the arduino. 

P.S.  The only thing that I am dreading is learning a different kind of code.