Genibo SD not charging in USA + Wireless USB query

Hi all,

What is the purpose of the Wireless USB Adapter (“ipTIME N100UM 11n 150Mbps Wireless USB Adapter”) included with the Genibo SD robot dog? I see a USB connection in the robot’s rear compartment, but the instructions do not say anything about using this accessory.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi all,

I am in the US, and I purchased the South Korean Genibo SD robot dog. However, I can not enjoy it, since it has almost no power left, and I can not yet charge it :frowning:

Note that the box came with a charging station, an AC/DC adapter, and a South Korean (Type E/F ungrounded) power cable/plug. The AC/DC adapter is labeled as 100-240V, so I assumed it was like any dual-voltage travel adapter. I replaced the South Korean power cable/plug with a US notebook-type power cable/plug which fit perfectly into the AC/DC adapter. When I plugged it into my US outlet, everything seemed to work fine - that is, the charging station screen lit up with a white/purplish color and an image of a dog (thus everything appeared to be working :slight_smile:

With the dog Power Switch turned on -and- the dog still turned on, I placed the dog on the charging station and the charging station changed to a greener color, and I could immediately hear the cooling fan kick in, so I assumed all was well. But after 2 hours of charging (and then later after a couple of different tries from 2-6 hours), the robot still immediately says to feed him then quickly goes to sleep then turns off :frowning:

Questions:

1. Does this AC/DC adapter really work correctly with US 110-120 voltage?

2. Or do I need a voltage converter to first get it up to 240V before passing it to the AC/DC adapter?

3. Or is my dog possibly defective? Note: I assume the dog’s battery contacts are working with the charging station, because if I jiggle the dog on the station, I can get the greenish light to revert back to the white/purplish default light that is on when the dog is not on the station.

Appreciate any help before I send him back to RobotShop as defective.

Thanks,

Steve

We currently do not have one in stock to check, but it should be clearly marked on the adapter itself (110V or 110-240V) input.

See answer above. It’s likely universal.

You might need several charging cycles before the battery picks up a charge. You should connect the charger directly to the underside of the robot, and follow step 2 on page 13 here:
robotshop.com/media/files/pd … -white.pdf

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Yes, as noted, I confirmed that the adapter was labeled 100-240 before moving ahead. I was just not sure if it really was effective at 100-120.

FYI, I went through at least 4 charging cycles (totaling over 12 hours) to no avail.

I am trying your “direct to battery” suggestion, even though the Tip for Note 5 on Page 16 seems to say this should not work. Will let you know :slight_smile:

If you have a multimeter (or a friend who has one), you can check the battery’s actual voltage. This will tell you if there’s an issue (deeply discharged). if so, we’ll be happy to replace the battery and apologize for any inconvenience. We certainly want you to be happy with your purchase.

Thanks, Coleman :slight_smile:

I will check the “direct-to-battery” solution later today (when I get home). If it did not work, then I will get out my multimedia and measure the battery voltage. Can you point me to a diagram on how to do this for this particular battery - and what values to expect?

You might measure the battery voltage first - there are four metal contacts on the stomach of the robot. Unfortunately we do not have a Genibo here to test, but it’s likely that two are positive and two are negative - you would use the multimeter (set to read voltage) and contact two pads to see if you detect a voltage.

But, there must be some voltage, because the dog is turning on each time (and then after less and less seconds is going right to sleep).

Can you just send me a new battery, so this does not drag any longer and I can enjoy this expensive purchase (which I paid $70 for 2-day shipping to enjoy sooner)?

Currently we do not have any batteries (since they are internal). We have contacted the manufacturer to see how best to proceed and we will get back to you as soon as we receive a reply.

Hmm, please see my email

Well, unfortunately, the “direct-to-battery” solution did NOT work - same results. And as expected, the multimeter shows the battery has minimal power, so nothing to report there, except that this unit is disappointingly defective :frowning:

We have received a reply from the manufacturer and they are ready to work with you ASAP to resolve the issue. Can you please send an e-mail to Luke [email protected]. he is awaiting your message.